OS X Mouse Cursor Bugs...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is it just me or is OS X plagued with mouse cursor display problems?

For example, open Safari of Help Viewer, and go to a page/topic with frames. Bang! The I-Beam cursor when in the scroll bars.

Or, sometimes in Safari when there's a flash animation showing, you move the mouse to the bookmark or button bars, and the cursor is still that old fashioned index finger up mouse/hand pointy thingy.

Or in Mail with the 2-paned interface, sometimes the cursor will be the "move SplitView split handle up/down" cursor, (you know, the one with the arrows pointing up and down), when you're not even moving the splitter.

This could have gone in the UI Inconsistencies thread, but it didn't...

Has anyone else been annoyed by these quite minor annoyances? m.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    for some reason I can't click in safari in the bottom 8th of the window...

it just won't register... I have to scroll down to hit a link....

don't know if it is related... but sounding something like what you are describing...
  • Reply 2 of 16
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    i also think there is a problem.

it is very apparent in safari. the problem is that the cursor isnt registering a click sometimes. however, it isnt just the bottom 1/8th. when this happens, you can try to click anywhere within the safari window and a click wont register anywhere.

it is very annoying. it happens on my powerbook and my cube.

i have noticed that changing the setting in the appearance preference tab to the other option in scroll bars will also delay this from happening for a while.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I've never had problems with Safari not registering clicks. Never. \ Are you absolutely sure this is just Safari that has the problem?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I've never had problems with Safari not registering clicks. Never. \ Are you absolutely sure this is just Safari that has the problem?

Yes. Workaround: Right-click and open link in new tab/window.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    That's just... odd.

And *NO* other app shows this problem??
  • Reply 6 of 16
    i know exactly what youre talking about, but its never kept me from clicking something, its just kinda weird.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Not sure if it's Safari, Panther or G5/mouse but while using Safari my cursor often "jumps" to one of the corners - tends to happen when I am dragging something.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Panther won't register my keyboard shortcuts like cmd w sometimes in all apps, probably unrelated but equally vexing...I feell your pain. Haven't seen this cursor bug though.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasbuff

Not sure if it's Safari, Panther or G5/mouse but while using Safari my cursor often "jumps" to one of the corners - tends to happen when I am dragging something.

Sounds like the kind of thing that happens when you use an optical mouse on a highly reflective/polished surface.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Nope - just matte green formica

Mouse is apple optical
  • Reply 11 of 16
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Maybe it has something to do with the way Safari gets messed up if you scroll too fast while loading a page. I don't know.

When using a Safari window larger than 1024x768 (my monitor is set to 1216x874, courtesy of DisplayConfigX), certain pages at AI (specifically, the ones that say that "you are being taken back to the topic you posted in") show the light gray background in only a 1024x768-sized box anchored at the top right corner. The rest is white. Not sure why.

As far as cursor problems, sometimes the I-beam will show up and stay instead of turning back into the regular pointer. Sometimes, also, my pointer will turn solid blue and I'll have to change it to an I-beam (or anything else) and back in order to change the color back to normal.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Using Mozilla I occasionally notice that my cursor "sticks" in a form that it shouldn't, like staying as an I-bar while point at the title bar and the buttons therein (close, minimize, zoom), or staying as an I-bar when pointing at a scrollbar. Waving the mouse around fixes the problem. I think I've seen this in other apps too, but have noticed it most often in Mozilla -- making me unsure of the Mozilla code or OS X code is to blame.

I've also noticed that, regardless of what app I'm using, my mouse cursor suddendly jumps and I have to wave my mouse around until I see the cursor and where it ran off to.

Minor annoyances, but long-standing and I certainly hope they get fixed someday. These are annoying bugs to report, because it's impossible to explain how to reproduce them. I know they happen, but don't understand at all what particular circumstances trigger them, and they're rare enough that all you'll likely get in response to a bug report is (as I did when I filed a Mozilla bug) "Unable to reproduce".
  • Reply 13 of 16
    I've also had problems with the cursor not being the right image, especially switching from one app to another. I've also had issues of my cursor being blue after a resolution change (like exiting from a game).
  • Reply 14 of 16
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I have NO idea why it happens... but it ONLY happens in safari (no matter what the window size...) and it ONLY happens on my iMac

that poor computer has been giving me some problems lately... (audio skipping, etc.) I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my boot partition being on an external FW drive...

goona try a re install sometime this year...

I can live with it for now tho...
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Hi,

I don?t know what is causing the mouse issue but it seems I found a way to get rid of it.

I had a perfect working Mac running with OS 10.4.8 but bloated with too much bells and whistles. To get rid of it, I did a reinstall from scratch of OS X Tiger (10.4.0), combo-updating it to 10.4.8 and NOT importing any users, applications or whatever from my backup. To save download time, I had all my patches locally. After patching the system, I was troubled with the mouse issue.

Doing a reinstall preserving users and settings and then combo-updating to 10.4.8 or 10.4.7 did not solve the mouse issue.

Thinking back of what an Apple engineer once told me is that the order in which you install updates and drivers is of importance in OS 9 and OS X. It can sometimes cause weird display issues and - as it seems - also mouse issues.

After working with this configuration for one week, I reinstalled it from scratch (again) but now let Software Update do its work and it worked! I got rid of the mouse issue. When decorating OS X with applications and drivers, I installed just one at a time, so only iLife, then the updates, then another application, etc.

The first time I thought doing it the fast way and tried to install as much patches, drivers and applications as possible at the same time. The result was having OS X running on my Mac with the mouse cursor issue.

The order in which you install patches and updates seems to be important to prevent mouse cursor issues.

Let Software Update do its job and don't hurry: only install one application or driver at the same time when further decorating OS X.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I've had cursor issue with Safari too. Sometimes the shape changes to the wrong thing. One of the most annoying ones is when the cursor disappears when it hovers over the tab bar. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with flash adverts on sites. An obscure one that happens once in a while is where my cursor is offset by a certain amount. For example, if I click somewhere, it registers the click as being maybe 20 pixels to the left so if I try to close a tab, it will enable the tab to the left of it.

It doesn't happen often enough for me to worry and it goes away with closing the window so I guess it must just happen during a bad page load.