VPC 6-iTunes-Panther-PB12"

pbpb
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Here are some questions about VPC 6, iTunes and Panther in 12" Powerbooks, first generation.

(1) I have read some horror stories over the net about Panther making VPC 6 so slow, that booting a PC would never end. Sorry, don't remember links. What is your experience on that?

(2) How iTunes works under Panther in 12" Powerbooks? Are still the fps broken (as under 10.2.8 )?

(3) Does the system report correctly the CPU speed? 10.2.8 had broken that too, and 12" Powerbooks reported about 6/10 of the normal CPU speed. Only a PMU reset would clear things until the next restart.

(4) What about the fans? They still keep blowing ? Firewire 400-800?

(5) How is gaming under Panther in these machines?

OK, that's all.

Thanks,

PB

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Well, nothing? OK, I will add one more question: are Mail.app mailboxes in Jaguar and Panther compatible? That is, in a fresh Panther installation, transfering the old Jaguar mailboxes, is a drag-and-drop procedure in the ~/Library/Mail/ or something like import should first occur, and then re-arrangement within Mail.app?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    About VPC 6 & a 12" PB: Biggest "ick" Factor: no Level 3 Cache.

From what I've seen it's like trying to milk a cow using a pair of tweezers. Slow, man, really slow. Maybe VPC 7 will be better, but considering the fact that Microsoft adds bloat rather than takes it away leaves little hope.

What are fps? Frames per second? Visuals? Huh? iTunes works just fine in Panther. Including the visuals.

Fans? Huh?

Gaming? It's got a decent graphics card for the screen resolution, so I guess it would be okay for most games. I wouldn't expect mind-numbing frame rates though.

Mailboxes work just fine between the two OS's, but I would suggest importing them regardless.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Composer

About VPC 6 & a 12" PB: Biggest "ick" Factor: no Level 3 Cache.

From what I've seen it's like trying to milk a cow using a pair of tweezers. Slow, man, really slow.

I know the speed issues. I am talking about further slowdowns because of Panther. Several users reported that Panther made the VPC installation unusably slow to the point a PC boot would not end, while it was fine before.

Quote:

What are fps? Frames per second? Visuals? Huh? iTunes works just fine in Panther. Including the visuals.

Frames per second of iTunes Visuals, indeed. 10.2.8 broked the powerful OpenGL Visuals in 12" Powerbooks and dropped them from 60fps to no more than 30fps, even with the "cap at 30fps" option unchecked.

Quote:

Fans? Huh?

What update of Panther do you have? Many users of first generation 12" Powerbooks, reported that the 10.3.2 update made their fans to work without stop, even with a couple of applications open (e.g. Terminal and Mail). Apparently, Panther lowered the fan activation threshold, supposedly to protect these rather hot machines from potential heat damage.

Quote:

Gaming? It's got a decent graphics card for the screen resolution, so I guess it would be okay for most games. I wouldn't expect mind-numbing frame rates though.

Again, 10.3.1 made unusable several demanding games that worked fine before. What about 10.3.2?