Why are certain tracks missing from iTunes?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
For instance, certain albums are "by song only" and have every track that's on the real CD except for one. Example: Chemical Brothers - Come With Us has tracks 1-9, but not 10. For what reason? Is this a cruel joke by the record company to try to get me to buy the disc for one track? If so, I think it suX0rz, and they need to get with the program!

BTW, I bought tracks 1-9 anyway. And is there a way to just highlight a bunch of songs and purchase them all at once or something, because I couldn't figure it out earlier, so I had to do them all one at a time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    It's probably one of several reasons:

1. the recording companies want you to buy the which CD which has better margins and "forces" you to buy the other tracks with it of course, or if they offer the track as "album only" they want you to buy the whole album on the iTMS.

2. there are copyright/publishing right issues with the track ,where a guest artist, different writer or whomever hasn't given the OK to publish the song in this form, or,

4. the track is already encoded for another album (often with a Best of compilation) and don't want to re-encode the same track redundantly. I don't know why the track couldn't just be copied with just different tags. I guess it takes up server space and is low priority?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    What happened to #3, BuonRotto?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    #3. the song is over 7 minutes long and is thus sold on an album only basis

or

#3. i no longer listen to pscates untill he makes more graphic designs for us to look at

g
  • Reply 4 of 7
    (Doh!) I should have gone straight to #5 from #2, Monty Python thing, y'know.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

#3. the song is over 7 minutes long and is thus sold on an album only basis

It's usually 10 minutes+ from what I've observed.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I' ve only known about #1 and #2 all my life. What in the hell is #3?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    #3 hurts like hell, and that's all I'll say.