Stupid printing

brbr
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So I get this pdf file which appears to be a scan from a magazine from my professor that has text on pages 4, 6, and 8-12 with stupid pictures on the other pages. I don't have time to read it at my computer so I want to simply print 4, 6, and 8-12. I think it's fvcktarded that I have to do three print operations (4 to 4, 6 to 6, and 8 to 12) to get this done. Am I fvcktarded and missing something obvious?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I have very little success with Printers, They either print things incorrectly, or they waste paper by making me jump thru hoops to get what I want.

They are evil.

that said, as far as I know, you will have to create 3 different print operations, which is heinous, but such are printers.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    you COULD export the pages you want to print, stitch them together and then just print once ....
  • Reply 3 of 11
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

you COULD export the pages you want to print, stitch them together and then just print once ....

And you could cram pennies in your ass every day so you feel superior to others because you know deep down that they have handled your ass pennies. It just isn't practical.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I have very little success with Printers, They either print things incorrectly, or they waste paper by making me jump thru hoops to get what I want.

They are evil.

that said, as far as I know, you will have to create 3 different print operations, which is heinous, but such are printers.

Not on winblows. Print: 4,6,8-12. It works in one operation. Gah. OS X is light years ahead of Windows but still lags behind on a few issues.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    heh yeah I forgot to add that printing in OS X SUCKS

causes a bunch of problems where I work...

of course most of that has to do with professors uploading class notes in PDF form that are 60MEGS in size!.... (they don't know how to compress, the professors that is)...

are you running panther? printing has improved somewhat...

but I don't think it does what you want...

another alternative is to put your print center in the dock (or your default printer if you have more then one) and drag the pages you want to be printed...

edit: oh and the problem is actually MUCH worse on XP--especially when trying to have multiple slides on one page (the professors use powerpoint, UGH)...

this is one area that X is much better at...

but thats not really saying much....
  • Reply 6 of 11
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Printing sucks in OS X...try to print a page with frames in windows

Though maybe this is fixed in XP
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Printing sucks in OS X...try to print a page with frames in windows

Though maybe this is fixed in XP

no it is not... you only get the frame that is currently "active" in IE...

but AFAIK it is the same behavior as safari???

I don't usually print from the web...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

no it is not... you only get the frame that is currently "active" in IE...

but AFAIK it is the same behavior as safari???

I don't usually print from the web...

Really I'm pretty sure it worked for me. Though I'd have to try.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    tmantman Posts: 66member
    I agree. Printing in OSX really sucks. I just got an HP Photosmart 7960, a great peice of hardware hamstrung by Apple's lame support in OS X. The HP driver (I think it's 2.3.6) a download from their web site is a hack that at least allows the printer to work with 10.3.2 but that's about it. 10.3.2 doesn't even give me an option to print an 8.5x11 photo, just 8x10 so even in borderless printing mode I have to cut off 1/8 inch of unprinted surface. Lame- really lame.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Heh, you can do this in (gasp) Word, i.e. page range = 4, 6, 8-12
  • Reply 11 of 11
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

heh yeah I forgot to add that printing in OS X SUCKS

Probably why the majority of design firms have not moved over to OSX.

Sure, Quark held things up too, but when your livelihood depends on being able to output what you have on your screen, it's understandable.