iMac or PowerBook!? Someone please help me decide

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey...I am still in high school and have fallen in lvoe with macs even though i currently do not have one. I am trying to decide whether or not to get a Powerbook or an iMAC. I want this to last me awhile. Since I have never had a Mac before Im not sure I know everything about them, but I do know alot. Will someone tell me what they think I should get based on my age and grade level. I will be using it mainly for essays, internet, and chatting. What should I get!!SOMEONE HELP

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    You pay a premium to have a portable machine. Unless you can realistically say you are going to be using this machine either outside of your home or have a serious problem getting off of the couch (read: wireless) you are going to get a better deal and more computing power using a desktop machine...

My $.02
  • Reply 2 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Mooger, if you'll be heading off to college in the next couple years, a notebook computer might be good for you. I know I used mine a lot back then for "group projects", library research, etc.

Based on what you've said, I'd recommend an iBook G4. It'll do all that you want to do, and be pretty *snappy* about it.

If you DO get a laptop, the next thing you should buy is a cable lock so your "friends" don't pick it up and take it forever.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I'm going to agree with everyone else and say that if your going to college, go for portibility. Since you don't need that much power (you said surfing, typing, chatting...) really basic stuff, an iBook G4 is more than enough power to suit what you are talking about there and will last you a good number of years too. Wireless internet is awesome too.

Ps. In the future, purchasing advice goes in General Discussion

And welcome to AI, I hope your stay is enjoyable.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    get a cheap cheap eMac for home to hold you over until you apply to college...

upon entering college use your EDU discount to get a nice shiny G5 powerbook, because I'm sure they will be released in time as long as you are not a senior...

as a bonus you can use the eMac as a base station to go wireless when you get your lappy
  • Reply 5 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Maybe mooger isn't made of money and can really only afford ONE computer.

Get an iBook G4 and be happy with it. If you have a big desire to spend more money, use it to get an Airport Extreme Base Station and other accessories.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Purchasing advice belongs in General Discussion...

• Reply 7 of 12
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mooger

Hey...I am still in high school and have fallen in lvoe with macs even though i currently do not have one. I am trying to decide whether or not to get a Powerbook or an iMAC. I want this to last me awhile. Since I have never had a Mac before Im not sure I know everything about them, but I do know alot. Will someone tell me what they think I should get based on my age and grade level. I will be using it mainly for essays, internet, and chatting. What should I get!!SOMEONE HELP

go with a tibook i got 1 and its great... i love it... if you do you can take it to the school library or over a friends house for a project...or ANYWHERE
  • Reply 8 of 12
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    iBook G4. It's cute and it'll help you pick up girls. Oh, and it's a damn good computer for the price.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well, I've owned both and I have to say: I'll NEVER own a desktop again. Ever. Having my Mac with me, whenever and wherever I want, is just really, really cool.

For you and your situation, I'd totally recommend the iBook G4. For what you mention doing, the PowerBook is probably just money spent needlessly.

My best friend has the 14" iBook G4 and she's in school now and travels a bit also and she surfs, writes, uses iChat, iTunes and iPhotos, e-mails, etc. and absolutely loves it.

Use your student status to get one for $1399, max out the RAM to 640 (as my friend did), install an AirPort Extreme card, get a little carrying case and maybe a mouse and you're set.

1GHz G4, 60GB hard drive, 32MB graphics, cool slot-loading Combo Drive, FireWire, Ethernet, good battery life, etc.

To me, a no brainer.

• Reply 10 of 12
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

1GHz G4, 60GB hard drive, 32MB graphics, cool slot-loading Combo Drive, FireWire, Ethernet, good battery life, etc.

To me, a no brainer.

Well, I'd have to go with the 12" powerbook if I were going to spend $1399. Chicks dig it more. And as a freshman in college, what else is more important? Seriously though, with Apple's portable line, the only mistake you could make is to NOT get one.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mooger

how far along in HS are you? If you still have a couple years, i'd go with the iMac, otherwise pickup the 12" ibook G4 as others have suggested (be sure you get the education discount)
  • Reply 12 of 12
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

[snip]...

Seriously though, with Apple's portable line, the only mistake you could make is to NOT get one.

Reminds me of one of my favourite Simpson's quotes...

Homer to Marge - after she questions him about being able to afford a pony for Lisa:

"Marge, at today's petrol prices, we can't afford not to own a pony."