Which mac for server?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I need a "passive" server and don´t intent to give much for it. It has to be able to run panther (if I need a hack to let it do so so let it be), it must have a ethernet card (10 but pref. 10/100), I have to be able to put in a large cheap HD, I have to be able to use a BT dongle (If I have to install a USB card so let it be) and it must be able to run iTunes.

Any suggestion for which mac can do the above?

I have my eyes on these models:

Power Macintosh G3 Mini Tower (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=112427)

Power Mac 8200/120

Can they fulfill my needs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    you could look for any model iMac... that should work... and they will be cheap because of the lack of expandability....
  • Reply 2 of 14
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Thanks. A good suggestion. A rev a iMac would probably be the cheapest solution. But I don´t want a screen attached to the server
  • Reply 3 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    so disconnect it its not that hard to do... heck you could make your purchase even cheaper if you found one with a broken screen
  • Reply 4 of 14
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I will go for the mini beige G3 tower. The 8200 is too slow, and you will have problems for updating it.

Buy the G3 tower, upgrade it with classic 9,2 (if you stay on mac os 8, you will have problems for connecting it to mac os X computers).

A server do not need a huge amount of power, but an ethernet 100 PCI card will be welcome.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Find a dual 450 or a dual 533.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I will go for the mini beige G3 tower. The 8200 is too slow, and you will have problems for updating it.

Buy the G3 tower, upgrade it with classic 9,2 (if you stay on mac os 8, you will have problems for connecting it to mac os X computers).

A server do not need a huge amount of power, but an ethernet 100 PCI card will be welcome.

ew 9.2 for a server OS? Yuck Go with a flavor of linux if you get one of these older machines.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

Find a dual 450 or a dual 533.

Can´t find that stuff for $150.

What I am talking about here is a personal server, a harddisk with an attached computer. To unload the stuff that is piling up on my iBook, for iTunes integration with my stereo, for simple file transfers when I am not home AND serving DVDs on a local network, one at the time and max twice a week.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    eds66eds66 Posts: 119member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Can´t find that stuff for $150.

What I am talking about here is a personal server, a harddisk with an attached computer. To unload the stuff that is piling up on my iBook, for iTunes integration with my stereo, for simple file transfers when I am not home AND serving DVDs on a local network, one at the time and max twice a week.

All you need is a file server, it sounds like. You woud be better off just getting a SNAP appliance or something similar for a about 300 bucks. It will serve files and do other things to boot. And it will be very easy to manage.

If all you need is storage, why not just get a big FireWire drive?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Mount_My_Floppy got himself in some trouble but he says to go for the for the G3 in that case.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    i just aquired a mac clone which came with a G4 upgrade card. its a UMAX S900. cost me a few pints to the person i got it off.

has 6 PCI slots, so have put in a sonnet ATA card (£90) and a 120gb ATA HD (£120). hey presto...
  • Reply 11 of 14
    I have a PowerMac 9600 Dual 200Mhz with a version of linux. It's got 384MB Ram. Dual 10/100 PCI Cards. ATA Controller with 60GB. 2(9GB) SCSI Drives on Main SCSI Bus. It's a pretty nice machine.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    How did a member with over 1500 posts get his privilieges revoked (iBrowse)?!
  • Reply 13 of 14
    I have a beige G3 tower (the last one made - 333MHz) which I used to use as a webserver with OS X. Worked great. I am planning on selling it - haven't gotten around to taking picks and putting on eBay. Let me know if you are interested.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    You seem to be looking for an external FW hard drive, outside of the iTunes-to-stereo stuff. Of course if it's an iPod, then you have everything.