New Software Paradigm: "No Barriers Or Rules" (NBOR)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Has anyone heard of this "revolutionary" new software? It's supposedly a completely new user interface paradigm using shapes and colors and no menus, window, toolbars, etc. It seems pretty interesting but I'm sure Apple could polish it up and add it the the PowerPad. javascript:smilie('') I wonder if Apple could sue (for using Newton-ish patents) or buy the company?

http://www.nbor.com/universal_A.htm

(Yes, this is my first post but I am not affiliated. Found it searching for UI stuff today).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Nobody has the faintest interest in my first post on AI. I think I'm gonna switch to Windows.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Actually, no one can make head nor tails of that website!

From what I've been able to painstakingly deduce, it looks like a cross between component programming, gestural programming, and other known technologies.

If they truly have something novel, I couldn't find it.

Now, their *combination* of the above may be novel, but it looks like neat tech ideas from the past tossed together and blended.

Which could be cool.

Reminds me a lot of the Newton, to be honest.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Reminds me a lot of the Newton, to be honest.

Yeah. I just thought it was timely because the preview is going to be released tomorrow.

Kickaha , Nice to meet you.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    It reminds me of OpenDoc, which was a mid nineties Apple technology for building applications quickly with little "real" programming (they still used the regular human/computer interface. Sadly, it disappeared without trace after Mac OS 7.5 and never came to much). I can see where the Newton/PDA comparisons come in with NBOR.

NBOR looks interesting, but may be too much of a shift* away from normal text and widgets interfaces that have been around for 20 years to be mainstream.

Welcome to AI, philmaker2004!

*could have deployed paradigm shift, but didn't.