Processes Information

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
http://home.ptd.net/~quadd/Terminal.txt

I was wondering if there was a way to find out what processes are doing, or any information I can get about them. I am most curious about the 341 and 343 QuickTimeStreamingServer, and 398 TechToolProtection.app. I am just curious what all these things do, but care most about the ones I mentioned. Is there a safe way to know if it is ok to kill a process.

Also is there a text file or something that launches all these processes or how can I edit what launches and what doesn't?

Related question, how can I uninstall quicktime streaming server?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    i dunno, maybe there's a place where you can turn off the streaming server in the quicktime preferences
  • Reply 2 of 9
    sample. That'll tell you what an app is doing.

Code:

bradsmith$ sample

syntax: sample <pid/partial name> <duration (secs)>

{ <msecs between samples> } <options>

options: {-mayDie} {-wait} {-subst <old> <new>}*

-file filename specifies where results should be written

-mayDie reads symbol information right away

-wait wait until the process named (usually by partial name)

exists, then start sampling

-subst can be used to replace a stripped executable by another

Note that the program must have been started using a full path, rather than

a relative path, for analysis to work, or that the -subst option must

be specified

• Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

sample. That'll tell you what an app is doing.

Code:

bradsmith$ sample

syntax: sample <pid/partial name> <duration (secs)>

{ <msecs between samples> } <options>

options: {-mayDie} {-wait} {-subst <old> <new>}*

-file filename specifies where results should be written

-mayDie reads symbol information right away

-wait wait until the process named (usually by partial name)

exists, then start sampling

-subst can be used to replace a stripped executable by another

Note that the program must have been started using a full path, rather than

a relative path, for analysis to work, or that the -subst option must

be specified

i've only been a member for like a week, and u have already tought me alot Brad, thanx man
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Thanks brad, but the txt file it made me told me nothing, there wasn't any information in it that I can even ask what it means. I was curious if it's ok to delete that type of stuff, and if there is a way to search for invisible files so when I delete a program I can get everything.

Can I delete anything I want in the tmp folder?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    As long as you're not running apps that rely on data being present in there while they're running, then yes.

/tmp is emptied automatically on reboot.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    What's a reboot?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by tchwojko

What's a reboot?

you need to take off your best boot and give it a whack lol that's from a switchers ad.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I know this is a very very old thread but it's one of the few I've found that mentions uninstalling the Darwin Quicktime Streaming Server.

I won't bother getting into why I installed this rather nasty app. I just want to get rid of it!

I've worked out how to kill the processes with terminal using the instructions shown on page 51 of the Administrator's Guide.

I run a local MAMP server for testing development sites and I don't really want to use terminal every day to kill the QSS, plus I'd prefer to simply upgrade to Leopard upon its arrival rather than format before installing just to get rid of this thing!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymoustache View Post

I know this is a very very old thread but it's one of the few I've found that mentions uninstalling the Darwin Quicktime Streaming Server.

I won't bother getting into why I installed this rather nasty app. I just want to get rid of it!

I've worked out how to kill the processes with terminal using the instructions shown on page 51 of the Administrator's Guide.

I run a local MAMP server for testing development sites and I don't really want to use terminal every day to kill the QSS, plus I'd prefer to simply upgrade to Leopard upon its arrival rather than format before installing just to get rid of this thing!

I don't have OSX up at the moment but look at the launchd config xml and see if the qtss is being launched from there. Then remove it. If its not there then you'll have to look at StartupItems or /etc/rc.

If you know the name of the qtss executable (or perhaps path) then spotlight for it and it should find any config files that use it.

Google "uninstall" and "qtss" results in this:

http://angelb.wordpress.com/2006/10/...mac-os-x-1048/

Ah...seems to launch from StartupItems and /etc/hostconfig.

If you want to keep qtss for some reason and just not have it start you should be able to just:

Quote:

As an alternative, you can also turn off the streaming server so it won’t startup when you reboot your Powerbook by editing /etc/hostconfig. Follow the editing procedure above and change the -YES- to -NO- for QTSSWEBADMIN and QTSSRUNSERVER. This leave the streaming server installed, but disables it.

There are many more Google hits so if these instructions dont work you can look at others. I would look for ones that match your version of qtss as closely as possible.