Perpetual Paul Thurrott Stupid Quotes Thread

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This is long overdue. Since this man excels at putting crap to print I thought it was time for a thread simply devoted to the man and his writings. I will kick it off with a really great piece from WinSuperSite where he reflects upon the MWSF '04 keynote by Steve Jobs.

Quote:

Jobs's Disappointing Macworld Keynote Address Makes Even Gates Look Good

Lost amid all the hubbub of CES was the start of Macworld Conference & Expo, which opened Tuesday with an unexciting Steve Jobs keynote. Jobs usually kills at these events, delivering a slew of exciting products to a friendly crowd eager to lap up whatever he has to offer. But even the most crazed Apple fan has to admit that this Macworld conference was the lamest since Jobs returned to the company, with few exciting new products. The new iPod minis are cute but predictable--and vastly overpriced. Garage Band, a music-mixing application, targets the smallest possible market. The new iLife application, although interesting, isn't shipping yet and won't be free. Apple didn't present any faster Power Mac G5s, cheaper PowerBooks or iPods, or Apple-branded office-productivity tools, as many rumor sites had hoped. All in all, Macworld was a rather boring affair.

Feel free to add your own favorite Paul Thurrott quotes here to get this landslide of a thread started.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Exclusive: HP Working to Get WMA on iPod

__ HP's blockbuster deal with Apple will have one exciting side effect, I discovered today. The company will be working with Apple to add support for Microsoft's superior Windows Media Audio (WMA) format to the iPod by mid-year. You heard it here first.

But I hate to give this guy anymore hits from a "crazed Apple fan".
  • Reply 2 of 13
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    It just keeps getting better...

Quote:

In sharp contrast to competitors such as Apple Computer and the various open source groups working on Linux, Microsoft has worked for years to really think through the whole user experience in Windows, a phrase many people confuse with the more simplistic user interface. But the Windows user experience goes well beyond the controls, windows and other onscreen elements with which you interact and encompasses, literally, your entire experience with the system. That is, the user experience includes such abstract concepts as how you feel about the system, how you react to actions onscreen, and how the system reacts to you. It's more than technology, in other words. It's about the relationship you have with the PC.

• Reply 3 of 13
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Okay, okay! So this is not actually a quote, but it's a real killer none-the-less. Behold...

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/r...4_babes_10.jpg

I just can't stop laughing!!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Terrifying.

At least we now know why he praises Microsoft, a fetish for rainbow colored butterflies.

Barto
  • Reply 5 of 13
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Oh. My. God. That photo is pathetic. Is that really what MS people go for? Imagine the ridicule those poor girls must get.

I mean, seriously, just think if Apple had some young, hot females walking around MacWorld in tight, black Panther outfits, with a little metallic Apple logo tucked nicely in between their firm...I mean...you know.....um....

You'll have to excuse me for a few minutes.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    That's just weird. (It's presumably our man Thurriot on the CES floor, flanked by two women wearing purple jumpsuits and Mulitcoloured Microsoft Moth wings.)
  • Reply 7 of 13
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KANE

Okay, okay! So this is not actually a quote, but it's a real killer none-the-less. Behold...

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/r...4_babes_10.jpg

I just can't stop laughing!!

The furries and the plushies have an fetish subcategory for insects too?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

I mean, seriously, just think if Apple had some young, hot females walking around MacWorld in tight, black Panther outfits, with a little metallic Apple logo tucked nicely in between their firm...I mean...you know.....um....

ROFLMAO. Hillarious!!!!!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KANE

That is, the user experience includes such abstract concepts as how you feel about the system, how you react to actions onscreen, and how the system reacts to you. It's more than technology, in other words. It's about the relationship you have with the PC.

So if I feel like throwing an XP machine out the window because it won't stop trying to sell me things, MS planned that? That's great. God bless 'em.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I remember those poor unemployed actors handing out Office preview CDs at MacWorld 2002 in NYC in their little Tick-come-Arthur bug outfits. Boy, that guy handing out the CDs was so abject, I remember I spared him the humiliation of taking his picture.

Should we also include Dvorak and Enderle quotes just so we have the MS sycophants trifecta?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    My favorite:

Quote:

Apple and HP have just set back the convergence of PCs and consumer electronics an untold number of years. I hope HP's choice isn't one that comes back to bite the company's millions of customers--my number-one concern.

Apple, scourge of innovation.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    From http://www.internet-nexus.com/2004_0...04438200101104

Quote:

"Dell is the world's number one personal computer maker for a reason, Mr. Jobs. They do make the world's best computers."

Of course, they do Paul. I was only talking to a South African diplomat's daughter the other day and she was telling me how a Dell laptop had bought her closer to God. Quite literally.

And even better, and about as revisionist a comment as you can imagine?

Quote:

Furthermore, Apple has not had competition in the online music store business for "the past two years." The first iTunes Music Store competitor, Buymusic.com, didn't appear until August 2003, or five months after iTunes debuted. Since then, more viable competitors like Napster have shown up.

What were Rhapsody and Pressplay? Figments of a diseased imagination?

Paul Thurrott: living proof that cannabis can cause psychosis and delusional behaviour in the emotionally unstable.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yeah that's worse than furries. However the girls are hot. But I think we're forgetting the Butterfly in the commercials is a guy. Man it must suck to have that job. He's at a bar, his friend goes "so what was that new job you have now Roy?" Sucks.
    Quote:

h. My. God. That photo is pathetic. Is that really what MS people go for? Imagine the ridicule those poor girls must get.

You'll have to excuse me for a few minutes.

Haha no hypocrisy. You're damn right that would be tight. Cat ears too.. 8)