can Apple System Profiler and Hardware Test be wrong?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
hi

i installed 4 GB of RAM (4 x 1GB sticks) in my dual G5. the sticker on each stick says it is PC3200 RAM.

but Apple System Profiler and Apple Hardware Test both list the RAM as PC2700. and both report the original apple RAM as PC3200 (i have since pulled the original apple RAM from the machine because of Final Cut Pro errors - which were corrected by the removal of the apple RAM. but the 4 GB sticks are still listed by both as PC2700).

i called the reseller who claims it is just faulty reporting by both ASP and AHT - the RAM, they say, is PC3200. they claim that ASP and AHT misreport RAM speeds on their systems.

so, is it possible for these programs to be wrong? could both programs have trouble reading 1 GB sticks accurately? or is my reseller just jacking me around?

i've bought from them before and they're fairly well respected around the web. they aren't some johnny-come-lately discount outfit. but still - i don't want to pay for PC3200 RAM and end up with PC2700.

also, before i pulled the apple RAM (512 MB), the system would frequently only report the apple RAM on boot, until a program was opened (except final cut) at which time the system would then recognize the additional RAM.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'd trust Apple, who made the entire system, before I'd trust the reseller. But that's just me.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    ASP report my ram as pc100, when my ram and bus speed definately is pc133, so don't be too alarmed.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by peaceful billy

i installed 4 GB of RAM (4 x 1GB sticks) in my dual G5. the sticker on each stick says it is PC3200 RAM.

NO NO NO! They're called DIMMs, not sticks!!!

There.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matt Danger

NO NO NO! They're called DIMMs, not sticks!!!

There.

Pop quiz, hot shot.

What does DIMM stand for?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    DIMM = Dual inline Memory Module.

I didn't cheat... this is off the top of my head.

Am I right?
  • Reply 6 of 26
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by npynenberg

Am I right?

Yes
  • Reply 7 of 26
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Am I right?

You are correct, but not the hot shot \\/\\/ickes was referring too.

That hot shot went and got hit with the ban stick.

And I want 4 GB of RAM, that dualie has to scream. What an awesome machine. 8)
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:

Am I right?

Great Job!

*Gives sticker*

You may not be the one I asked, but he got a forced vacation from the AI forums... so...

*in best MIDI voice*

YOU THE WINNER!

• Reply 9 of 26
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Apple machines are pickier about the RAM they take. if the CAS numbers aren't rock solid, they'll kick down to the next lowest setting.

if your system profiler states your RAM is running at 100Mhz, it probably is.

if it says your RAM is 2700 instead of 3200, that's what it's running at. (although in another system it might pass as 3200)
  • Reply 10 of 26
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

*in best MIDI voice*

YOU THE WINNER!

That's Macintalk you are thinking of, not MIDI. Just a FYI
  • Reply 11 of 26
    thanks for the replies.

my reseller claims that the RAM HAS to be running at PC3200 or the machine wouldn't even boot. they say that ASP and AHT are both wrong. they also say that this is a function of Panther and happens with all 1 GB DIMMs under panther. they also say that Apple knows this and there have been a lot of posts regarding this on the Apple discussion forum, but that all of those posts have been deleted. he further said that if i would just boot from a Jaguar partition (which i didn't have - had to make one via firewire), ASP would correctly report the RAM speed. well, i did this and it turns out that ASP in Jaguar doesn't report the speed at all - though it does correctly see all 4 GB of RAM.

i spoke with Apple and the tech there thought the reseller might be right about the RAM running as 3200, but couldn't say absolutely that a dual G5 couldn't boot with 2700 RAM in it. but then he went on to say that there is something defective in RAM that misreports itself to ASP and can't work with other PC3200 RAM without conflict. he says he hasn't heard anything about ASP and/or AHT misreporting RAM speed.

i have heard from yet another user (actually the user was just reporting what his reseller told him when he suffered the same thing with his 1 GB DIMMs) something which mirrors what alcimedes just posted - that if ASP is reporting the RAM as PC2700, then that is the speed at which it is running, period (this other user's reseller replaced the RAM immediately). this directly conflicts with what the reseller says, and they are very convinced of this.

does anyone know if a dual G5 can even boot with PC2700 RAM? ah, in the end i guess it just doesn't matter - the reseller is claiming the RAM is fine and i don't think it is.

it is all very frustrating. this RAM was not cheap, as you know. i've already had to pull 512 GB of RAM from the system just to get it running with stability.

ugh.

thanks for all replies and any suggestions on what to try next would be most appreciated.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    one thing you might want to try.

pull out all but two sticks of the 1GB RAM. see what it reports. if it reports at 3200, then you know it's an issue with all 4 chips playing nicely together. if it reports as 2700, try to two other chips.

(if i were you i'd try all 6? possibe combinations)

i've seen on more than one occasion where two chips (by themselves) will report as 3200. however, when paired with additional chips, all chips will drop down to a lower level. something to the effect that the CAS ratings on them are slightly off, so they can't all run at full speed. (or something like that)

it's a bit of a pain to go through that many possibilities, but it will at least narrow it down somewhat. if you can call them up and tell them that two chips alone will report as 3200, but 4 report at 2700, they'd have a hard time blaming the system profiler.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    alcimedes

that is a simply fantastic suggestion - thank you. yes, a bit of a pain, but worth it.

got so caught up in the frustration, that i couldn't see the forest...

one question - when lower speed RAM is mixed in with higher speed RAM, does it drag all the RAM down to the lowest speed? the apple rAM was always reporting as 3200 in ASP and AHT, even with the 2700 RAM (as listed) beside it.

thanks again for the simple, but thorough, suggestion. will report back.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

Apple machines are pickier about the RAM they take. if the CAS numbers aren't rock solid, they'll kick down to the next lowest setting.

if your system profiler states your RAM is running at 100Mhz, it probably is.

if it says your RAM is 2700 instead of 3200, that's what it's running at. (although in another system it might pass as 3200)

I have also taken out each DIMM and checked their speed with ASP and they keep saying pc100, even the 2-PC133 DIMMS from apple that came with this machine. also,using other Ram test apps it says pc133. So I say ASP is \\/\\/ro|\\|gzor.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    well, i pulled all the RAM and tested all six pair combinations and all were reported 2700.

i spoke again with the reseller who says they will ship out new RAM. of course, they only have one make of the RAM so, as he pointed out, it will probably show up as 2700 too.

he swore again that it is a panther/ASP problem with 1 GB DIMMs - but i know people who are running 1 GB DIMMs which register as 3200 with ASP and work with the original apple RAM.

i said that i didn't think RAM which reported incorrectly to ASP and which didn't work with other 3200 speed RAM (which is happily sitting in friend's G5, playing nicely with his other RAM) without problems was really fully functioning RAM. so the new RAM is on its way. in the meantime...

MagicFingers

which other RAM test apps are you using to determine RAM speed? if you don't mind sharing the names, i'd love to know.

thanks again for all the help. i do appreciate it.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

That's Macintalk you are thinking of, not MIDI. Just a FYI

Brain fart... sorry.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    the ram software is called NewerGauge but you have to be able to boot into )S9 to use it, so ,I dont think it will work for you...sorry
  • Reply 18 of 26
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Can the G5 change its bus speed?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    im thinkin it might be ASP screwing up, as all 3 of my sticks, including the original apple 128MB one, show up as pc 100 instead of pc133, i dont have a jag partition to test this with now, but i know for a fact taht under 10.2 and 10.1, they were read as pc133
  • Reply 20 of 26
    well all - thanks for the advice and assistance

the new RAM from the reseller arrived and it reports as PC3200 in ASP. funnily enough, this RAM is different from the previous RAM in that it lacks a heatsink - even though this reseller only sells one type of 1 GB 3200 DIMM - their own (or at least one branded as their own).

anyway, the end of the story it appears is that i now have RAM which correctly reports as 3200. it was much more hassle than it needed to be, i feel, but they didn't leave me hanging, which i appreciate.

Scott

regarding the G5 changing bus speed - i don't know. but i would like to know, if anyone knows.

thanks again all for the advice. it is much appreciated.