Is GarageBand an Apple product or an Emagic product

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Was GarageBand created by Apple, or was it the reason why Apple purchased eMagic?

Just curious.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    It was created by apple.

but chances are, emagic developers actually created it, however they work for apple now, so it's apple's product.

kind of like Soundjam and iTunes, cassady and greene made both, but apple made iTunes
  • Reply 2 of 9
    What Wrong Robot said, I completely agree with.

Moving to Digital Hub.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I wouldn't say it was the reason that Apple bought eMagic though. I suspect that Apple always wanted to create something along these lines out of Logic. However, I was surprised it wasn't in the $300 range like FCE. I think Apple wanted Logic to be Logic and cover a wider pro market, become a little less dependent on Adobe and the graphics market, and dovetail Logic with their pro video market since the two are closely related in terms of who knows who behind the scenes and such.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Yeah, Had it been more of an emagic thing, then garageband would simply have been a repackaged logic silver
  • Reply 5 of 9
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I wouldn't say it was the reason that Apple bought eMagic though. I suspect that Apple always wanted to create something along these lines out of Logic. However, I was surprised it wasn't in the $300 range like FCE. I think Apple wanted Logic to be Logic and cover a wider pro market, become a little less dependent on Adobe and the graphics market, and dovetail Logic with their pro video market since the two are closely related in terms of who knows who behind the scenes and such.

Garageband is a watered down version of Soundtrack, which the 300 dollar product you are referring to.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I wouldn't really call garageband a watered down soundtrack, it looks like it's more like logic, audio recording, midi sequencing...etc.

soundtrack is just a sophesticated loop sequencer, hardly music production software in the way garageband is.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Garage Band is a little bit of both. Soundtrack was created by Apple prior to the Emagic buyout. The looping expertise brought to Soundtrack was inevitable as the creator of Acid Chris Moulious has been working for Apple for a couple of years now. Emagic tech is probably present in GB but I still believe the looping functionality to come straight from Apple
  • Reply 8 of 9
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

kind of like Soundjam and iTunes, cassady and greene made both, but apple made iTunes

No, C&G only distributed apps.

SoundJam was made by an Apple employee in his spare time and distributed by C&G.

That became known when C&G closed.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    to be blunt...

what difference does it make?