InDesign or XPress for Beginner

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Let me preface this all by saying I have no formal graphics training. I got Studio MX 2004 for Christmas to teach myself web design, but everything that I've learned (which hasn't been all that much yet!) has been through playing around. Anyhow, at one of my jobs (ah, the joys of being a grad student...who likes to suround himself with pricy Apple products ) I've now been given the responsibility of working on a brochure. I might also be doing some work on a few posters as well.

So far I've been working with Fireworks and Freehand, since that's what I have, but my boss seems to be open to getting a page layout programme to smooth things along. So my question is this: as someone with no graphic design or page layout training, would InDesign or XPress be the easier package to learn by playing around (coupled with whatever on-line training I can find)?

Any comments/input/help/attempts to disuade me from this course of action would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Indesign is much happier in OS X than Quark (which is still more stable in OS9).

The Adobe Creative Suite Pro package includes a disc with some training videos.

Have a look at some of the online tutorials for each program.

Some sites offer sample videos (some inane) to give you a sense of features.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Go for Indesign. Cheaper, better support, better interface (at least when you're familiar with Photoshop) and better integration with other (and important) Adobe apps like Photoshop and Illustrator. It's got more features, too. And the typographic capabilities of Indesign are the best in the industry. Plus, Indesign makes a much faster progress than Quark.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    One copy of QuarkXPress costs the same as the ENTIRE Adobe Creative Suite (which includes Illustartor, Photoshop)
  • Reply 4 of 29
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I'm a full-tilt InDesign nut. I said "bye" to QuarkXPress nearly two years ago and haven't looked back.

As stated above, it's less expensive (but more kick-ass...go figure), handles type beautifully AND plays really nice, naturally, with Illustrator and Photoshop.

For what it's worth, the new Macworld (the 20th anniversary issue) praises it up and down the road, saying it's pretty much going to topple QuarkXPress. And already has, in many quarters.

I wouldn't walk across the road to pee on a copy of QuarkXPress.

And Leonis nailed it...why get one has-been app when you can get the latest versions of Adobe's big-time apps for pretty much the same price? I think Adobe's commitment to the Mac (and OS X) is a little more on-the-ball than Quark's.

If you're starting clean and have no issues with having to be locked into Quark because of a co-worker's input or fears, or outside printing concerns/relationships, then it's the easiest decision in the world.

• Reply 5 of 29
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    ID everytime

its easier to learn than quark. people who are quark experts sometimes have trouble making the switch to begin with, but it doesn't take long to work out the differences.

but you have no quark hang-ups so not a problem

nothing more to say here!
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Run, do not walk, away from Quark. I've used it for 13 years and today, it's over.

My copy of Adobe Creative Suite is en route and I am switching to InDesign and GoLive for web.

After spending two hours on the phone with a tech support from India to get the defective copyright protection scheme in Xpress 6.0 to work, two weeks later, it's broken, disabling my ability to produce campaign materials. Since I have the governor of this state attending a campaign function tomorrow evening, needless to say, I am not amused. Quark better pray I'm not elected to the state legislature, as I plan to introduce legislation on consumer fraud and violation of consumers "fair use" with these elaborate and unworkable protection schemes about 10 milliseconds after being sworn in.

Foolishly, I let familiarity with an interface guide me away from what was common sense: too many years of Xpress and CopyDesk as first a newspaper reporter and editor, and ultimately, a magazine editor kept me clinging to the familar Quark interface, not largely changed since version 2.12 when I started using it.

Every other app I use has changed radically (or gone away) and I just learned to cope with change...and I know the same will be true for InDesign and GoLive.

Frankly, Quark can't go out of business soon enough for me. I have to admit, after 13 years of customer abuse I feel a visceral anger toward that company, well beyond my dislike and frustration at Microsoft.

<end of rant>

www.mikemcgann.org
  • Reply 7 of 29
    All InDesign would have to do to convert MOST Quark users is make all the KB shortcuts the same (kinda did it half-@$$ed already) and then change the way text and pictures are put into boxes. I love quark (even though they took their freggin' time coming) But have to agree that InDesign is cheaper and more feature ridden. If you do serious Design, you cannot get away from Quark. But if cost is a big issue for you, get InDesign. InDesign is already beating Quark with their arrogance and I think many of Quarks users are cheering (if not out loud, silently and smirkingly). Adobe also has a MUCH better student pricing that Quark has. (shame on Quark). Hope this helps and doesn't confuse. Early, no coffee. If you plan to get serious, get Quark, if you are only experimenting, InDesign.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    the way the industry is now...if you want to make money use quark. Most graphic design/print shops are stuck in Quark and still use it. Most of them are still stuck in Mac OS 8/9 as well.

InDesign in my opinion beats the crap out of Quark in so many ways. If you know Photoshop and Illustrator it won't take you too long to learn InDesign. There is also better support for those apps in InDesign (you would hope so since they are made by the smae company).

The way things are now, it is best to know both. especially if you want to find work and make money. If you are just in it as a hobby and for fun, InDesign is cheaper and a lot more user friendly.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Quote:

If you do serious Design, you cannot get away from Quark. But if cost is a big issue for you, get InDesign... If you plan to get serious, get Quark, if you are only experimenting, InDesign.

I would disagree that you must use Quark to do "serious" design. True, Quark will not readily dissapear, and we designers will have to continue to work with it. But let me outline a few pros to InDesign and cons to Quark Xpress.

Quark has no intention of integrating the "cute" (to use their wording) features into Xpress that InDesign already has, including but not limited to drop shadows, advanced transparency, advanced typographical options, integration with Photoshop, native blending modes, MUCH better export to PDF and a better user interface.

For those of you Quark users (and more importantly, Quark engineers) who dont need these "useless" features... Good for you! I suppose you dont "need" running water or a flush toilet either...

Quote:

Adobe also has a MUCH better student pricing that Quark has. (shame on Quark).

Educational pricing for Xpress must be new because last time I checked, Quark didnt have an educational discount. I suppose they are getting better now.

Price Rundown

Quark Xpress Retail - $1,045 ($945 w/ instant rebate)

Quark Xpress Educational - $415

InDesign Retail - $549

InDesign Educational - $199

Adobe Creative Suite Premium (Includes Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, GoLive, and Acrobat)

Retail - $1229

Educational - $399

At any rate, if you are planning on doing any "serious" design, I can assure you that you will need Photoshop. Even the great and mighty engineers at Quark dont claim to get by without it. It can even help you in your web design. So if I were you, I would go for the educational version of the Creative Suite. You wont regret it!

Oh, and by the way. Adobe's "Classroom in a Book" series is not a bad way for a beginner to learn the applications (occasionally they can be a little lacking in some areas). I believe you can buy them used on Amazon cheaper than you can get online training.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    After playing with InDesign for afew hours (and coverting my old Quark documents), this is clearly the way to go.

While I'll have to get used to doing things a new way, the old Quark ways were kind of odd and complicated (thanks to that 1989 interface), while things seem much more intuitive with InDesign.

Obviously, Web design is vastly better in GoLive, but it will take a few weeks to learn it properly.

Although I have a lot to learn and will be hunting for an InDesign and GoLive book or two, this new CS suite is amazing.

Goodbye Quark. And if I need to use a printer who can't handle native InDesign files, well, that's what PDF is for, right?

<edit fixed a typo>
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Get yourself some books on type and a good assortment of fonts before you bother yourself with page layout. The only real disadvantadge of desktop publishing is the massive culture of bad typography it has created. You don't want to be part of that sort of thing.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

One copy of QuarkXPress costs the same as the ENTIRE Adobe Creative Suite (which includes Illustartor, Photoshop)

And that pretty much says it all. 8)
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Going a bit off topic here, how difficult is InDesign to learn if you've been a long time PageMaker user?
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by OldCodger73

Going a bit off topic here, how difficult is InDesign to learn if you've been a long time PageMaker user?

InDesign is much easier to use if you are familiar with Pagemaker - lots of similar keycommands (although there is an alternative command layout available for Quark folks to use).

I've used InDesign since version 1.0 and I've been impressed with every improvement. It has excellent type handling (love the hanging punctuation capabilities) and you can work is very large document sizes. I do large exhibition graphics is can work in real space in InDesign - it's wonderful to work on 8' X 13' banners in real space!! It can also create outlines from text on the fly and export the resulting graphics to .eps format to use in Illustrator. I also like seeing my tifs and other images in full resolution.

The only problems I've had are in color control issues and I'm still working on that. Some of my vendors don't care for InDesign but none of them refuse it.

I haven't switched to the new CS yet but I anticipate that I will love that version, too.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cwgirl

I haven't switched to the new CS yet but I anticipate that I will love that version, too.

I have no doubt you will like the CS version (I still like to call it version 3).
  • Reply 16 of 29
    If you're familiar with any of the other Adobe products (Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.) InDesign will be easier to learn because is uses a similar interface.

What QuarkXPress has going for it right now is ubiquity. It's been the standard for so long, that you're bound to encounter it sooner or later if you work in print.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    indesign all the way. i was a ten year users of quark and was extremely fast at it. honestly i was the fastest quark user i had ever met. after about 3 weeks on indesign i haven't looked back. there are still small interface issues with indesign that bother me compared to quark, but i've forgotten most of them. and the ability to use psd files natively and recognize photoshop transparency is worth the price of entry alone. i dunno if the new quark does that too because since i switched from quark 4.4 they can kiss my ass.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Much good advice (keep it coming!). I've submitted my preference for InDesign. Now to see if the higher-ups decide I actually need it.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    All of the pro-InDesign sentiment here has won out. Hopefully an order will be placed later this afternoon.

I'm quite happy since they were going to go for the Windows version (so they can keep using it when I'm gone), but a quick call to Adobe (which, in spite having a guy who mumbled a bit much, making him a bit difficult to understand, impressed me with its no holding-time customer service) confirmed my suspision that they will let you switch a Mac license for Windows one for just the cost of shipping. So, happily, I'll be able to work off my G5 at home.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    my only warning to you about indesign... i love version 2, but i am really incredulous that they have made indesign cs files incompatible with version 2. macworld makes a good point that, while adobe did the same thing with version 2 not down-saving to version 1, no one BOUGHT version 1, so it wasn't a huge issue. but this essentially means that any studio who wants to test the waters first with indesign cs has to basically "test in a bubble", and then do a full-scale rollout, rather than a machine-by-machine implementation. that's a lot to ask your consumers to commit to.

i hate quark these days, but at least they have been able to save back one version prior with all their latest releases. so keep in mind, if you learn indesign cs, you better have someone else ready to take those files, or else you're building a ship in a bottle. i hope macworld's comments were right that adobe "is working on a fix for this issue."