SuperDrive slower at CD burning?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm getting a very good deal on a 15" SuperDrive PowerBook for $1999. I'm a little surprised that the CD-RW and CD-R speed on the SuperDrive are both lower than on the ComboDrive found on the 1GHz model (which I originally was going to purchase).

I guess I'm just basing my assumption that burning CD's on the SuperDrive is slower (noticably?) simply because the tech specs. suggest that by the speed numbers. I know I'll be burning CD's a lot more than using the DVD-R (which I'm still not even sure if I need the DVD-R at all but the $1999 price is so good, I figure just get it?).

So...is CD burning much slower w/SuperDrive? Is having DVD-R going to be something worth having in the long run? I guess I'm just trying to find a reason why it'd be worth having (no I don't do heavy graphics/video work in the least...so whatever apple.com raves about the SuperDrive being so useful for doesn't really apply to me).

Input? Thanks,

--Daniel

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    yeah, with a SD, burning cds is always slower, i dunno the specifics, but SDs always slow down yo cd burn time
  • Reply 2 of 5
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I don't think it's too much slower - what is it, 16x vs. 24x? We're talking about, what, maybe a 5 minute longer wait for the burn to finish. I think you'll find the DVD burner useful. I think it's great for backups. It's tough to fit anything of size on a CD. You may even decide you'd like to do movies. You wouldn't copy commercial DVDs, of course, because that would be wrong.

I think you're making the right decision.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    it is alot slower when compared with a combo drive-32x
  • Reply 4 of 5
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    The combo drive in the PowerBook writes CD-Rs at 24x.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

The combo drive in the PowerBook writes CD-Rs at 24x.

my bad, talking about in desktops