CorelDraw is discontinued on Macs

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
http://www.macminute.com/2004/01/15/corel

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_...fm?NewsID=7684

Well, when they say that only 4% of sales were for the Mac product, I can't blame them. Then again, I can't blame anyone for not buying their product with more popular titles like Illustrator and Freehand out there, and more economical but comparable products like Intaglio and Create out there as well.

To me, it just points out how the Mac software (and hardware probably) market is polarizing between the big software houses like Adobe and the boutique houses like Stone, and the gap is widening.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Their suite was pretty widely pooh-poohed every time it came up here, so I doubt it'll be missed much.

I can live with a sort of dichotomy between big vendors and boutiques, although I doubt that apps like Painter are going anywhere.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Corel is a joke of a company, as always will be.

The incomprehensible excuse for a business strategy they used should be taught at Harvard as what not to do with a software company.

Some of the highlights:

1. Discontinuation of Wordperfect 5.1 for Mac

Corel expected success in the office productivity category, in a platform controlled by its biggest competitor. It never understood that Microsoft was the standard in large part because it was cross platform, so it muddled along never porting the rest of the suite to the Mac. WP 5.1e was a cult favorite on the Mac pre-OS X, and still resides on my hard drive.

2. Embrace of Linux.

Despite the fact that the Mac had far more desktop users than Linux did, Corel went ahead and spent money "embracing Linux" as the Next Big Thing. As was obvious, they ended up retreating from Linux and are back where they started.

Corel should have parlayed their PC success into cross platform success by building the first truly cross-platform Office suite. With sleek, but not neccessarily full-featured editions for Windows, Mac and Linux they would have had a chance to compete since neither Redmond or Cupertino were going to deploy across three platforms.

To gain Mac marketshare, they could have taken a page from Microsoft's book and bundled the suite with the Graphics products at a severely reduced price. Adobe didn't have anything to compete with something like that.

But they instead sit timidly in Ottawa, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. The remaining Mac products will be the next to go or be sold off, then they will watch their PC maketshare being to slowly shrink into irrelevancy.

Good riddence to second rate software companies.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I think they have done pretty good with Painter.

Of course, it was not their app originally.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Frank777 great points. Corel is definitely disappoint. I cringed when I found they purchased Painter because they clearly have no talent for marketing.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

Corel should have parlayed their PC success into cross platform success by building the first truly cross-platform Office suite. With sleek, but not neccessarily full-featured editions for Windows, Mac and Linux they would have had a chance to compete since neither Redmond or Cupertino were going to deploy across three platforms.

This is an excellent point, especially when you consider non-traditional ways to get such a suite into offices. For example, it could be bundled with server and enterprise contracts where the companies are competing against MS and Dell.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

WP 5.1e was a cult favorite on the Mac pre-OS X, and still resides on my hard drive.

wait, so you're sayng there's a version after 3.5 on the Mac?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Sorry, meant 3.5e.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    th0rth0r Posts: 78member
    Quote:

I think they have done pretty good with Painter.

It's only a matter of time...

Remember, they recently killed Bryce for Mac.

When Corel aquired Painter, Bryce, KPT... the graphics community pretty much said "Guess that's the end of those apps- at least on the Mac". Looks like it just took a while.

Kind of ironic they whacked CorelDraw. It was one of the earlier Mac OS X apps. June 2001, I believe.

Quote:

...could have taken a page from Microsoft's book and bundled the suite with the Graphics products at a severely reduced price

They tried. That's exactly how I got my copy of CorelDraw 8.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Th0r

It's only a matter of time...

[...]

Kind of ironic they whacked CorelDraw. It was one of the earlier Mac OS X apps. June 2001, I believe.

[...]

Yes, I also remember a statement from them saying how committed they were to the Mac platform and OSX in general. Typical Corel.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

[...]

But they instead sit timidly in Ottawa....

[...]

Good riddence to second rate software companies.

Typical gratuitous comment from someone who lives in Toronto (although Frank is otherwise dead-on about Corel). But there is lots of other great tech activity here in Ottawa - it did not even slow down all that much here when things started going badly in the tech sector world-wide (although there was certainly some effect). Lots of people formed their own companies and are doing well. And now Nortel is coming back....
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Th0r

They tried. That's exactly how I got my copy of CorelDraw 8.

They never produced the suite to bundle with CorelDraw. They inherited WordPerfect for the Mac from Novell and never showed a commitment to it. Their PC only attitude is why WordPerfect Office is such a failure that only gets bundled with low end clone PCs.

All they bundled with CorelDraw was WordPerfect 3.5, which was good, but didn't have any integration with the graphics apps built into it.

Chinney: Didn't mean to badmouth Ottawa. There's great software stuff coming out of there, just not from Corel. My post was meant to vent at Corel, not Ottawa.

Of course, in a thread about lazy, corrupt politicians...
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Just thought of something. Would it make any sense for Corel to sell the Mac version of Photo-Paint to Macromedia?

Maybe they could add their GUI to it, spruce up the feature set, and bundle it with their apps.

More competition in the Mac photo-editing sector would be a good thing.