First PM G4 with Digital LCD port?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I thought all the G4's with ATI's AGP Rage 128 chip had both analogue and Digital monitor connections on it. I just bought a G4 400 and I was surprised to find only an analogue VGA monitor port.

Which was the first PM G4 to have both connections? I'm not talking about the ADC connection because I don't want that. I want to be able to plug in a third party brand digital LCD. Thanks for any info.

Also, did the 466 G4 have a standard audio in port for speakers like the G4 400 has? Thanks..............

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    you have a first rev PowerMac like me. the 2nd rev which came out in late December 1999 improved the graphic card to a ati rage pro 128.

I swapped my card with my aunt who had the pro with DVI.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    was the second rev a speed bump also or is it possible to find a PM 400 with the Rage Pro? I just looked at my box and you're right-it has a Rage 128.

Aren't people having trouble with the Rage 128 because ATI never updated the OSX drivers for it, or does that problem include the Rage Pro?

What was the first PM G4 to come with the dreaded ADC port?............................................
  • Reply 3 of 17
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by steve666:

<strong>

Aren't people having trouble with the Rage 128 because ATI never updated the OSX drivers for it, or does that problem include the Rage Pro?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's only with the Rage Pro.

[quote]What was the first PM G4 to come with the dreaded ADC port?............................................ <hr></blockquote>

I believe the first PM to have ADC was the 400/450DP/500DP models intro'ed at MWNY '00.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Go to <a href="http://www.apple-history.com"; target="_blank">www.apple-history.com</a>

It has all (maybe not all, but quite a bit) of that info there.

~bauman
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Apple's online store sells adapters from ADC to DVI for pretty cheap... It is much more expensive to go from DVI to ADC, so for maximum compatibility, I would simply do ADC and get the adapter.. In the future if you decided to get an Apple LCD, you would not need to use an unsightly (and inconvienent) and expensive powerbrick.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich:

<strong>Apple's online store sells adapters from ADC to DVI for pretty cheap... It is much more expensive to go from DVI to ADC, so for maximum compatibility, I would simply do ADC and get the adapter.. In the future if you decided to get an Apple LCD, you would not need to use an unsightly (and inconvienent) and expensive powerbrick.</strong><hr></blockquote>

ADC is incompatible with his powermac as it does not have the motherboard power connector in front of the AGP slot that new macs have. there is a little plug on the new graphic cards that fits into a plug right in front of the agp slot and passed power and USB through it.

No mac before MWNY 2000 had it
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Apple history web page really doesn't break down the info enough between the PowerMacs.

I'm a little confused because I have the G4 400 and it doesn't have the ADC connector or a DVI. Now, I thought the ADC connector came in the newser Powermacs like the 733 mhz, or maybe 533 at the earliest.

If ATI is having trouble with the drivers for the Rage Pro, wouldn't the earlier 128 be affected as well?

What chip came in the 466? Man, this is confusing!....
  • Reply 8 of 17

<strong>Apple history web page really doesn't break down the info enough between the PowerMacs.

I'm a little confused because I have the G4 400 and it doesn't have the ADC connector or a DVI. Now, I thought the ADC connector came in the newser Powermacs like the 733 mhz, or maybe 533 at the earliest.

If ATI is having trouble with the drivers for the Rage Pro, wouldn't the earlier 128 be affected as well?

What chip came in the 466? Man, this is confusing!....</strong><hr></blockquote>

he he. very confusing, I know

alright

1.) ADC came available July 2000 in the first DP powermacs and the lowend single 400. also the cube

2.) DVI came in 1999 in december. it was later replaced by ADC in July 2000

3.) The first G4 shipped with a Rage 128. The next revision with DVI shipped with a Rage 128 Pro.

4.) The cards that have no OS X support are ATI Rage Pro. Notice the lack of 128 in there. the ati rage pro came before the rage 128 and rage 128 pro.

hopefully that helps a bit
  • Reply 9 of 17
    That helps A LOT-thank you!

&gt;1.) ADC came available July 2000 in the first DP powermacs and the lowend single 400. also the cube&lt;

Now, that low end 400, could the graphics chip have been a Rage 128 Pro that happened to be made with the ADC port, or was it a diferent chip altogether? That should be the end of my questions, hopefully!.................................
  • Reply 10 of 17
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    The rage pro is earlier than the rage 128!

Amorya
  • Reply 11 of 17

[QB

Now, that low end 400, could the graphics chip have been a Rage 128 Pro that happened to be made with the ADC port, or was it a diferent chip altogether? That should be the end of my questions, hopefully!.................................[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

rage 128 pro just with the addition of ADC.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    I assume this means that the PM 466 came with the ADC port and not DVI? Since this machine is called the digital audio PM, is there still a standard speaker port or do I have to get a usb powered speaker for it?....................................
  • Reply 13 of 17

<strong>I assume this means that the PM 466 came with the ADC port and not DVI? Since this machine is called the digital audio PM, is there still a standard speaker port or do I have to get a usb powered speaker for it?....................................</strong><hr></blockquote>

1.) 466 has ADC. To convert ADC to DVI monitor you need to buy a 19 dollar adapter from apple

2.) still standard analog mini audio out jack. digital audio because it also has a plug for apple's pro speakers and a built-in amplifier for those apple speakers. nevermind the fact its not really digital. it's marketing
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Thank you again for the reply. I don't want to buy the Apple speakers so I wanted to make sure I could plug in the yamahas I plan to buy. I guess I won't worry about the ADC port.........................
  • Reply 15 of 17
    x704x704 Posts: 276member

<strong>Thank you again for the reply. I don't want to buy the Apple speakers so I wanted to make sure I could plug in the yamahas I plan to buy. I guess I won't worry about the ADC port.........................</strong><hr></blockquote>

FYI the D.A. G4 466's & up are also missing an audio in port. Not sure if that matters to you but just wanted to let you know ...
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Thanks for the info. I believe there are more usb microphones out there now but i wish Apple would stop messing around with basic ports. Jobs sure doesn't make things easy sometimes......................
  • Reply 17 of 17
    bungholebunghole Posts: 47member
    You could also get the ATI 7000 which has DVI interface and s-vhs. Its around $118.00 so its not too bad.