Purchase Advice: Desktop

x xx x
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey! I would like some serious advice...

I'd like to purchase a new computer a couple of months from now. I don't like the way the imacs look, never have, and won't purchase one. So that leaves me buying a tower. Before some of you go off and tell me to quit being cheap or something, I'm willing to spend a more for better quality but the lack of funds limits how much more I'm willing to spend. With that said...

As a litmus test I was able to get a computer from Dell's site for $1500 that fits my needs/wants. That price includes the computer, 17" FP, and 3 year customer support.

Apple's site the cheapest computer that fit my needs/wants was the low-end G5. Including 17" FP and 3 year customer support came to approximately $2900 (estimated on tax). I can subtract $500 for being a student, so that drops the price to $2400. Do you think I need the 3 year support for the G5? If not I can drop $200 more off that price. Also, if, as some people on this board have been saying, Apple comes out with the 20" FP as the low-end and keeps the same price as the 17" FP current model, then I believe that would solidify my purchase of an Apple system. This computer also would come with better software.

Bear in mind that I grew up using Apple, want to purchase a Mac as my next computer, however, my funds are possibly hindering me in that respect. Because I have to upgrade the computer I have relatively soon, I can't wait forever to save up or hope there are significant price drops, etc.

Comments? Advice?

Regards!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    look into getting a G4 tower... they are cheaper.

your total price (including apple care) should come out under $2000 or close too it
  • Reply 2 of 3
    wait for the new powermacs and get a refurb... i think that'll solve your problems
  • Reply 3 of 3
    You could also drop another $200 from the 1.6 GHz G5 by downgrading from a superdrive to a combo drive.