Will G5's run OS 9.0 in classic mode?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've got a few medical programs that are slow as all get out when it comes to updating software to current platforms. I'm upgrading to a PowerMac in a few weeks when the new revision comes out. Just wanted to see if the Classic OS 9 would run on the G5.

Thanks for your words of wisdom!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    I'd bet my life savings that classic works on a G5. m.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr_Holistic

I've got a few medical programs that are slow as all get out when it comes to updating software to current platforms. I'm upgrading to a PowerMac in a few weeks when the new revision comes out. Just wanted to see if the Classic OS 9 would run on the G5.

Thanks for your words of wisdom!

Classic runs just fine on the G5. It will probably run on the Mac through MacOS X 10.9. In other words, Classic will be with us for a long time.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    It runs very nicely. Heck, it runs faster for me that any machine I ever run Mac OS 7-9 natively on! This is on a single processor G5 1.8.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Classic will run 9.2.2 to be precise.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    it is pre-installed on the G5, also, Panther installs it all-at-once as well
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

it is pre-installed on the G5, also, Panther installs it all-at-once as well

Classic does not ship with Panther.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Classic does not ship with Panther.

i'm pretty sure that it installs the classic files during installation of panther
  • Reply 8 of 17
    I think you guys are talking about two different things.

A G5 to my knowledge will not boot into 9.

A G5 will of course run 9 applications in OSX
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by cpenzone

I think you guys are talking about two different things.

A G5 to my knowledge will not boot into 9.

A G5 will of course run 9 applications in OSX

exactly, all i'm saying is that the classic files are installed on the G5 so you can use the classic environment
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Ummm. I could be wrong, but I don't think that a G5 comes with a Classic environment installed, it has to be installed by the user later. And a G5 will not boot into OS 9. No version of OS X has ever shipped with a built in classic environment, it has to be installed by the user.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Ummm. I could be wrong, but I don't think that a G5 comes with a Classic environment installed,.

Why don't you ask some G5 owner like me

OS 9 system is on the hard drive when I got my G5. But I immediately reformatted the drive and I erased everything. But I have a "fully optimized" OS 9 system folder from my backup CD so I just need to copy it back to the hard drive.

I will later check out the OS/software install DVD that comes with the G5 to see where the OS 9 folder exactly is ......

Man....on my Dual G5 Classic takes only 5 seconds to launch (I am serious!) with my highly optimized OS 9 folder .
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Why don't you ask some G5 owner like me

OS 9 system is on the hard drive when I got my G5. But I immediately reformatted the drive and I erased everything. But I have a "fully optimized" OS 9 system folder from my backup CD so I just need to copy it back to the hard drive.

I will later check out the OS/software install DVD that comes with the G5 to see where the OS 9 folder exactly is ......

Man....on my Dual G5 Classic takes only 5 seconds to launch (I am serious!) with my highly optimized OS 9 folder .

which g5 do you have, i'm just wondering
  • Reply 13 of 17
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

[snip]

**DMBand begins drooling**

**DMBand realizes that he doesn't use classic anymore**

**DMBand stops drooling and begins wishing he could afford a new PM**
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

**DMBand begins drooling**

**DMBand realizes that he doesn't use classic anymore**

**DMBand stops drooling and begins wishing he could afford a new PM**

lol
  • Reply 15 of 17
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    ALL MACS SHIP WITH CLASSIC. Classic is an Application that emulates OS 9. It is included when you buy a Mac.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

ALL MACS SHIP WITH CLASSIC. Classic is an Application that emulates OS 9. It is included when you buy a Mac.

Classic doesn't emulate MacOS 9. It is MacOS 9.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    It's kinda an emulation because it runs at the same as Mac OS X, i know it actually is OS 9, but you can't open all the preferences and not all Apps. Also if you have a problem with some of it it's extremely difficult to fix. That's why i said emulation.