Anyone here do yoga?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
and perhaps meditation? It seems to be the latest craze these days especially Bikram (yoga in a heated room).

I've taken a basic class once a while ago and found it pretty tough actually...I'm not very flexible.

A benefit is the good ratio of women to men in these classes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    The supposed benefit to doing yoga in a hot room is that you sweat out all of your body's impurities. This can be quite unhealthy however, as most people neglect to drink water when they work out. Continuous fluid intake is essential for any exercising. As for yoga, never done it, but I've always worked out. My girlfriend does it, seems pretty cool, but not really my thing. I'm open minded, I would try it if I ever felt the desire to, but have yet to want to.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I've done it for a couple of years now (minus the last 7 months post-surgery :P), and *LOVE IT*. It's surprisingly difficult, and builds strength as well as flexibility rather rapidly. The wonderful thing is that anyone can do it. It's not just for skinny little cheerleaders. No matter what body shape you have, you can do yoga.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Yoga? I can't even touch my toes....
  • Reply 4 of 14
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

and perhaps meditation? It seems to be the latest craze these days especially Bikram (yoga in a heated room).

I've taken a basic class once a while ago and found it pretty tough actually...I'm not very flexible.

I used to do yoga and liked it very much. Yes, it's tough at first, but you have to ease into it, like anything else. I still do a few of the yoga positions I learned to stretch my spine. Feels good.

I also used to meditate and think it is wonderful. Again, it takes practice. I wasn't good at it at first. I was 'trying' too hard. But eventually one gets the hang of it, and the results are incredible.

The last time I was doing meditation, I would play hypnosis tapes while I meditated. They sort of re-program one's brain while in trance. I became a dynamo of activity by combining TM (transcendental meditation) and hypnosis. I have a problem with procrastinating, and my TM/hyp. got rid of that - while I was practicing it. All my bad habits eventually came back when I quit. Sigh. A neverending battle.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Meditation is an awesome thing, but most people envision it all wrong. Meditation can be almost anything. It doesn't have to be clearing your mind or anything else like that, just deep thought about a particular subject. I meditate quite a bit, it's really cool.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

Yoga? I can't even touch my toes....

No problem, neither can I. Congenitally short achilles tendon and hamstrings. It took me almost two years to be able to touch them, and then a few months off, and it's going to take me some time to be able to do it again. :P

OTOH, I can reverse nameste like no one's business. Freaked out the instructor when I waved at her from behind my back. Over my shoulder.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Yeah i just got done though it's offered every semester at our college just as like an extra curicular activity. I love it, tons of fun very relaxing and TONS of hot girls.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argento

TONS of hot girls.

Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Looks like something I will have to look into

Fellows
  • Reply 9 of 14
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    i used to .. to some extent. after i discovered my grandma had a yoga book (after she had died) .. that had somehow forgotten to her bookshelf 30 years earlier from a hospital library.

and now i probably should... extremely unable to concentrate in anything..
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

One yogic method is to take a strip of linen, push it through your nose and bring it out your mouth. Seriously.

Even better is when you swallow a long length of cotton and hold onto the end, let it soak up your stomach fluids and then pull it back out.

Or when you contract your stomach muscles while squatting in water to give yourself a colonic.

The relaxing and stretching is cool though.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

Even better is when you swallow a long length of cotton and hold onto the end, let it soak up your stomach fluids and then pull it back out.

Or when you contract your stomach muscles while squatting in water to give yourself a colonic.

The relaxing and stretching is cool though.

Dude, the cotton and colonic stuff just aint right man....
  • Reply 12 of 14
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    My wife just started.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Meditation can be almost anything. It doesn't have to be clearing your mind or anything else like that, just deep thought about a particular subject. I meditate quite a bit, it's really cool.

I meditate quite a bit too apparently. It keeps me up at night.