Mozilla 1.6 is out

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Just downloaded it. Seems a tiny bit faster :o) Now I start this ever painful process of checking compatibility issues The app as a whole doesn't feel like a 'Mac' app so I guess I'll stick with Safari though and for the sites I can't access in OSX I start IE in Classic

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    i'd love to dowload it, but it seems everyone else does too. their server is not responding to me at the moment. i'll try agian later.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by running with scissors

i'd love to dowload it, but it seems everyone else does too. their server is not responding to me at the moment. i'll try agian later.

you should try a download accelerator, like speed download, or download deputy.

that was how i got my copy of some linux distros
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I just grabbed the nightly build of Camino (v0.7+), Firebird (Windows, v0.8.0+), and Mozilla (1.7a). I used iGetter.

The Camino icon has changed. woohoo.

FireBird is my primary browser on Windows.

I use Mozilla for reading Chinese newspaper sites.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

I just grabbed the nightly build of Camino (v0.7+), Firebird (Windows, v0.8.0+), and Mozilla (1.7a). I used iGetter.

The Camino icon has changed. woohoo.

FireBird is my primary browser on Windows.

I use Mozilla for reading Chinese newspaper sites.

I just grabbed the latest Firebird build for OSX. As much as I love Safari, there has always been something about the Mozilla project that has drawn me to them. It seems no matter how long I try and go without one of their browsers, I have to go get one. Firebird is moving along very nicely.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Why don't the make Mozilla use Aqua? I just plain don't use it because it's butt ugly. Though it handles very complex sites better than Safari and doesn't lag on database pages like Safari. Haven't checked on Camino in a year, will be excited to see .8. At least with Camino they take Mozilla and fake Aqua, thought it still seems a little cheesy.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Why don't the make Mozilla use Aqua? I just plain don't use it because it's butt ugly.

Because that's Camino's job.

Seriously, the entire interface for Mozilla is XUL. Changing everything to native Aqua code is such a daunting task with oodles of platform-specific code, it's simply not feasable in the main Mozilla trunk. That's where specialized projects such as Camino come in to pick up the slack.

Camino uses "native" elements everywhere exceept in the browser display area. The preferences window, window toolbars, download window, and bookmarks/history page all use native goods. According to Pinkerton, additional goodies like native Aqua elements in the display area may not be in Camino any time soon, if ever. If you want truly native-acting elements in your browser, you're going to have to use Safari or OmniWeb.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I was just wondering that, why doesn't Camino go all the way in the widgets. That is underlying Moz code? It's very close to being Aqua but still feels a little "off." The Pinstripe Theme in FireBird is also really nice but is the same thing, not 100% Aqua. Really good backup browsers though. Safari 1.1.1 still chokes on a little on PeopleSoft at URI where Moz is sooo much faster.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Because that's Camino's job.

Seriously, the entire interface for Mozilla is XUL. Changing everything to native Aqua code is such a daunting task with oodles of platform-specific code, it's simply not feasable in the main Mozilla trunk. That's where specialized projects such as Camino come in to pick up the slack.

Camino uses "native" elements everywhere exceept in the browser display area. The preferences window, window toolbars, download window, and bookmarks/history page all use native goods. According to Pinkerton, additional goodies like native Aqua elements in the display area may not be in Camino any time soon, if ever. If you want truly native-acting elements in your browser, you're going to have to use Safari or OmniWeb.

Yes that's right. Furthermore you can be guaranteed that a default Mozilla install will look and behave almost the same no matter if you're using the Windows, *nix or Mac one. I think this has presents both benefits and drawbacks, depending on your platform:
    • On Windows the custom UI is nothing out of the ordinary and generally fits in well. Although I would have to say not as well with XP as the others.

• On *nix it presents an interface that is better than you might get by using one of the more common UI Toolkits. And as a result can actually look better and be easier to use. This probably doesn't apply as much to machines running KDE or GNOME but there are still a lot that aren't.

• On a Mac it kind of doesn't fit in because we are much more used to the standard OS interface and typically prefer it that way.