Euro iTunes store this spring?

coscos
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Music industry insiders expect Apple, Napster and other major digital music services to launch in Europe as soon as the second quarter 2004 .

While Apple remains tight-lipped about plans to introduce its service in Europe, Universal Music's eLabs president Larry Kenswil told Macworld: "By the second or third quarter there will be a number of major services in Europe, and I expect one of these will be Apple's iTunes Music Store."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    fingers and toes crossed!!!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Fingers and Toes?!?? I'm a freggin' pretzel myself.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Will I be able to purchase music from the European & Japanese versions of iTunes from the U.S. or will they each be separate from each other?

And if yes, do you think that it will be $0.99?

• Reply 4 of 11
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

Will I be able to purchase music from the European & Japanese versions of iTunes from the U.S. or will they each be separate from each other?

I have a feeling it'll be one big store (the Xserve G5 came out just in time!). There have never been any technical reasons preventing Apple from making the store available world-wide, only contractual reasons. All Apple has to do is remove the artificial access restrictions they've had to put up as the distribution rights and royalty agreements are settled.

While there might be categories for what's big where, I expect that Apple will encourage a certain amount of cross-pollination. I expect the artists or labels to back that up, since neither objects to more and better distribution channels, as long as they get paid.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    While this might be good news for Europeans, Apple might want to take a look at the second largest country on the planet (by area), which is second to only South Korea in Broadband penetration.

Oh yes, it's also the only country north of the U.S., in case Cupertino's still having trouble finding us...
  • Reply 6 of 11
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

Oh yes, it's also the only country north of the U.S., in case Cupertino's still having trouble finding us...

Greenland?

• Reply 7 of 11
    iTunes is part of iLife.

iLife discussions belong in Digital hub.

iTunes Music Store discussions belong in Digital Hub.

Moving.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Anyone willing to ahem bet me ?100 that it launches in UK in oh I don't know, May?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Global music industry junket MIDEM 04 kicks off 25/01 in Cannes.

Technology-related conference previous day.

Apple VP in charge of iTMS speaking at that event,

All those industry bigwigs in one place.

20th anniversary of Macintosh.

Advert seemingly - to my eyes - tantalisingly altered to read 26/01 and runner now wearing iPod.

If there's no announcement for Apple re: some expansion of iTMS, I'd be very, very surprised.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Greenland?

is not a country but our bitch.

This may have been the most un-pc thing ever to come from my fingers.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

is not a country but our bitch.

This may have been the most un-pc thing ever to come from my fingers.

You'll get yours, just you wait until the ancient worms spawned from the living meteor kill you!

Barto