hp laserjet iiip

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Has anyone been able to use a legacy printer like my hp laserjet iiip on a newer mac? I ordered a usb to parallel cable in hopes to get it to work. I have not seen any OS X drivers for a printer as old as mine.

It's old but still prints excellent for b/w and am hoping I will be able to use it. Linux drivers were always easy to find so I am hoping there is some sort of OS X universal hp laser driver that will work.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    [quote]Originally posted by newbie:

<strong>Has anyone been able to use a legacy printer like my hp laserjet iiip on a newer mac? I ordered a usb to parallel cable in hopes to get it to work. I have not seen any OS X drivers for a printer as old as mine.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

try calling HP or checking out their website. i dont think anyone is really concentrating on getting out drivers for old printers. they have enough catching up to do with the new ones. i have an older printer (not ancient, 3 years old) and i know epson has no plans to make OS X drivers for it. maybe when they run out of stuff to do...

since i am being forced to buy a new printer, would you guys recommend epson or HP for top-notch photos? my epson photo 700 is not too bad, but text looks like crap. it never mattered to me until i needed to print my resume and it was so bad, i would lose the job just based on the print quality. would i be better off buying a separate photo and laser printer, or does anyone own a good all-around under $400 they could recommend?