Bypassing Firewall

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is it possible to temporarily bypass a Firewall? I'm using an eMac/OSX.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shanahan

Is it possible to temporarily bypass a Firewall? I'm using an eMac/OSX.

You could just turn it off I mean really, who are you that people want into your computer?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Like ast3r3x said, you can turn it off, and then on again (assuming that we are talking about MacOS X's built in firewall), but there are a lot of other things that can be done depending on what you are looking to do. Maybe if you ask a more complete question, you will get a more complete answer...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Plus, it's also really easy to open ports (through the Sharing preference pane) so that you can leave your firewall running. But, again, more info would help.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

Plus, it's also really easy to open ports (through the Sharing preference pane) so that you can leave your firewall running. But, again, more info would help.

Right, what kind of stuff are you looking to do? If you want to say, enable file sharing, there are ports that need to be opened. If you give us more info we can point you in the right direction.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    The firewall is on an institutional server by which my computer is connected via ethernet.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    You want to bypass it to do what?

If you need to run services like softwareupdate, msn messenger, quicktime... run "authoxy" (now with NTLM support!).
  • Reply 7 of 9
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    You can't bypass a firewall without a good understanding of networks.

You will also generally need a server outside the firewall to process what you want (telnet, ssh, ftp, http).

This way you can remap ports eg FTP from 20,21 to 10020 and 10021(example). If you firewall blocks the FTP protocol then your stuffed unless you write a script to open a port using say ssh to a server on the outside and route your required port via this. If you firewall does NAT and port translation as well it makes it even more difficult.

My previous company blocked appleinsider so I spent over a month writing scripts and changing my web server at home to redirect my traffic.

Its not impossible but it isn't easy.

Dobby.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

[snip]

My previous company blocked appleinsider so I spent over a month writing scripts and changing my web server at home to redirect my traffic.

Its not impossible but it isn't easy.

Dobby.

Wow...you really love this place! Either that or you just get really bored at work.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I want to bypass the school proxy server, how do I do that?

My school blocks some sites which I want to see.

It use this Squid Web Proxy Cache