installing second hd in G4

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I have a g4 dual 450 gigabit powermac with 9.2.2 and 10.2.6 on a 30GB HD

I want to install a second 120gb hd. can I do the following:

1) connect the 120Gb as a slave (I assume I have to set jumpers here)

2) boot the mac

3) format the new 120GB

4) drag and drop the icon for the 30Gb onto the new 120GB to make a copy of the entire 30gb hd

5) shutdown

6) set the 30Gb as slave and the 120Gb as master

7) reboot

will this make the 120gb the startup disk and is this a clean way to ensure that everything is copied properly onto the new hd?

thanx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    you will need to use carbon copy cloner on the OSX stuff if you want to be able to boot off your new drive, then just copy 9 over or trash it like any respectable mac user should... sorry.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    yep!

no need for master/slave stuff
  • Reply 3 of 7
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    Quote:

Originally posted by peve

yep!

no need for master/slave stuff

Hi peve,

does this mean that I do not need to set jumpers? the blurb that came with the drive keeps going on about jumper settings for the drive!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    If the jumper is on cable select then no jumper settings required. If it is set to master then I'm not too sure what will happen.

Dobby.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I had to set my drives to master or slave, when I put the 2nd one in as master also, it wouldn't recognise.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Can the same be done for a B&W G3? I need another hd also
  • Reply 7 of 7
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Yep it could, but make sure your system will support a larger drive, some older computers need a separate ATA controller card and you may still need to partition the drive.

Note: In the future, don't bump an old thread and hijack it with a new question, just start a new thread or search for an old one related to your topic.