Panther vs. Jaguar (Chess.app)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I don't remember this ever being mentioned before, but I just noticed that in the Chess app included with Panther you get different options for the appearance of the board and chess pieces.

One of the options--fur--gives you Jaguar spots for the white pieces and Panther fur for the black pieces. Nifty.

You can make the board appear to be turf too.

I just wish the rendering was out-of-this-world spectacular rather than merely functional as it is now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yea it looks downright cheesy compared to chess in Jaguar.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    after i installed panther, chess wouldn't work for me, the beach ball just kept spinning
  • Reply 3 of 17
    i'd let the ball spin for 10 minutes, and it wouldn't work
  • Reply 4 of 17
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Yea it looks downright cheesy compared to chess in Jaguar.

Yea, what the heck? It looks bad! I never play chess, but it looks bad. Jaguar chess was cool looking, sleek. Panther chess is pixilated and looks like it was thrown together just in time for the last build. **BOO!!!**
  • Reply 5 of 17
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I click on this thread title and get a chess discussion???

C'mon stupider..., you're smarter than that.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

I click on this thread title and get a chess discussion???

Hmm. Right. Editing the title accordingly.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    It works fine for me on 10.3, but I agree that the interface is not well-rendered. I think that it looked better on 10.2 and even 10.1 (although I did not use it enough to be able to compare - I'd have to see them side-by-side).

The additional "styles" for the board and pieces are a neat idea, but really not that impressive, perhaps in part due to the lack of real polish in the overall rendering.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    here i thought someone was playing their Jag. machine vs. their Panther machine in chess to see which would win.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

here i thought someone was playing their Jag. machine vs. their Panther machine in chess to see which would win.

Kasparov versus the G5?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

[B]I click on this thread title and get a chess discussion???

Sorry about that, it seemed appropriate at the time since you can play jaguar versus panther skin *and* this is a change between OS version.

Serves me right for getting annoyed at people who forget to put question marks at the end of titles for wild speculation threads.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    I'm surprised Apple hasn't co-opted the open source glChess.

a really poor screenshot: http://glchess.sourceforge.net/screenshot.html
  • Reply 12 of 17
    When I was younger my dad got a really old Power Book for free. I can't remember what model it was but it has a black and white screen and ball mouse. I think it ran Mac OS 8 but not sure. Anyway, it had the coolest chess game ever. Whenever you took/lost a piece, the pieces would become alive and kill each other in violent and hilarious ways, then turn back into pieces. Most fun chess I've ever played.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    I remember that: Battle Chess I think it was called. Great fun!

I think it's still kicking around on my dad's LC575
  • Reply 14 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Hells yea BattleChess! Is there a modern version of Battlechess?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    If anyone doesn't know if you garb the side of the board you can rotate it around in 3D, also I think it is based on glChess....you can download the Source code from apple...take a look under "about Chess"
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Hrmm... I just opened Chess for the first time since I tried the betas of 10.3. Back then, there was an option to have the board "float" without appearing in an actual window. Was this option removed? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

The no-window option made it look really cool. \
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Hrmm... I just opened Chess for the first time since I tried the betas of 10.3. Back then, there was an option to have the board "float" without appearing in an actual window. Was this option removed? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

The no-window option made it look really cool. \

i remember that