I feel so grown up...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just moved the wine collection from milk crates to an actual wine rack.

Ikea, IVAR system. Two 48" struts, two shelves, 8 9-bottle racks, two drawers.

Storage for 72 bottles, the wine journals and other paraphernalia, in a nice simple rack. Total cost: $50.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Wife and I went shopping for baby stuff today.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I consolidated my students loans and got my payment schedule.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I bought a new frying pan. Teflon and everything.

I actually got excited reading the ****ing packaging. Our old pan stuck like a sonofabitch.

God, after I turn 30 next month it'll get even worse, I just know it.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

I actually got excited reading the ****ing packaging. Our old pan stuck like a sonofabitch.

I fully intend to go an buy a shop-vac this week. I'm really excited about it.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

When you hit 30, you'll grow up and get Calphalon.

Love the stuff. Don't bother with the non-stick line - it just peels off and you have to be careful with it. The anodized aluminum is quite non-stick as it is, and you can beat the hell out of it. Love mine. The heft, the weight, the heat retention, all wonderful. It makes a ton of difference over using anything lightweight.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Just moved the wine collection from milk crates to an actual wine rack.

Ikea, IVAR system. Two 48" struts, two shelves, 8 9-bottle racks, two drawers.

Storage for 72 bottles, the wine journals and other paraphernalia, in a nice simple rack. Total cost: $50.

So, are you a connoisseur?

What would be your favorite wine (reasonable price range, please) with baked, herb cod fillet (no batter)?

How about with pork chops? (Or are you a vegetarian?)

How about with filet mignon?

What are you going to do with the crates?

When I moved into my first apartment, I felt like I was 'playing house' - which was my favorite game as a little girl (except for playing cavalry )

It's weird, because sometimes I still feel like I'm playing house.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    IKEA? You have a ways to go, my son.

Scott, a baby?!! Everyone's worst fears, confirmed!
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

When you hit 30, you'll grow up and get Calphalon.

Love the stuff. Don't bother with the non-stick line - it just peels off and you have to be careful with it. The anodized aluminum is quite non-stick as it is, and you can beat the hell out of it. Love mine. The heft, the weight, the heat retention, all wonderful. It makes a ton of difference over using anything lightweight.

I have the Costco version of Calphalon. I love them too. But I baby those pans. I wash them by hand - not in the dishwasher.

And stuff does peel right off. It's wonderful.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

IKEA? You have a ways to go, my son.

Scott, a baby?!! Everyone's worst fears, confirmed!

Yeah, no kidding... run everyone! He's *SPAWNED*!!!!

Congrats, Scott.

As for IKEA... normally I'm not a big fan, but the IVAR system is solid wood, minimal, nicely configurable, and quite inexpensive. I use it for storage that won't be highly visible, like the wine rack in the basement (cool, dark, stable) or the 86 linear feet of bookshelves in the office. (Which reminds me, I need more.)
  • Reply 10 of 41
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I didn't realize that IKEA was even aware of solid wood any more. Some people grow up on IKEA (and Wal-Mart and Target, etc.) to the point that they're not aware furniture is made of wood any more either.

My parents moved to a new house, and were trying to sell their old entertainment center. The furniture was about 1.3m high, 1.8m wide and solid oak. My brother-in-law said he could use it, came over with his SUV and himself, and thought he would disassemble it for transport. Informed this would not work, he left to get his brother's pickup truck. My parents asked why he didn't bring his brother because it was so heavy. He looked at my parents a bit cross-eyed. He was confident he could lift the thing himself. He then attempted to lift the thing from one end, and was shocked to find he couldn't even lift it off the carpet. Well, he could tip it. He just didn't even consider the idea that it was made of solid wood instead of particle board. I mean, even ply would have been too much to lift!
  • Reply 11 of 41
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Finishing up my second year of college.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

How about with filet mignon?

Bleh filet. You really want a rib-eye!
  • Reply 13 of 41
    had my first prostate exam this year...

i wish two things:

1. that i wasn't so grown up to need that exam

2. that i hadn't shared that with the AO crazies

g

oh, three things:

3. that my doctor had thinner fingers
  • Reply 14 of 41
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

I recommend you get a "Ronco" membership card. You know you want that "Flowbee" Not to mention that spray to cover the bald spot.

Bald Spot Be Gone
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Bleh filet. You really want a rib-eye!

I typed rib-eye first, and then changed it to filet.

I like both; but ribeye definitely is more luscious. Slurp.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

I recommend you get a "Ronco" membership card. You know you want that "Flowbee" Not to mention that spray to cover the bald spot.

Bald Spot Be Gone

I've actually thought hard about getting a flowbee. I keep my hair 1/8" all around, and it'd be nice to be able to shave it without having to vacuum afterwards.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Kickaha you'll be a snobby grown-up when you switch to a refrigerated wine rack!
  • Reply 18 of 41
    I'm in college, don't feel grown up, don't think I ever will. I'm going to be a fire fighter for crying out loud. You show me a mature fire fighter and I'll be amazed.

Although, working in a hospital does make me feel grown up...a little. I'm responsible for people's well being. But I only have to be responsible one shift out of three when I'm a fire fighter, the shift I'm working as a Paramedic on. Other than that, 8)
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Kickaha you'll be a snobby grown-up when you switch to a refrigerated wine rack!

Oh no!!! My mom just got one of those for my dad for Christmas! It's official, they are snobs!

Even though they aren't, but they do enjoy a good wine from time to time.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I'm getting a bigger office next month.