Spinning Pizza after login

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just recently purchased a new iBook G4 which came pre loaded with 10.3.2. I have noticed that the finder takes forever to show up after the login screen. I have tried repairing permissions, fsck, linking the Bootcache but to no avail the machine sits there with the pizza spinning for over two minutes before it comes up. I also have a dual 450 which I have upgrades to 10.3.2 and the finder comes up instantaneously on it. Anyone have any ideas, or had this problem. Also when I go to use terminal I get a box with the close button only, no window, nothing. I'm beginning to wonder if its times to reload the preloaded system. What does everyone think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    you eat rainbow colored pizza?

sorry i cant help...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Moving to Genius Bar.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Edit: "Erase the hard disk and re-install Panther." is what Apple Computers always say! That's what i suggest, just back-up your work first.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I would:

- delete finder-prefs

- switch off icon-file-preview (if you have it on)

- run cron-scripts

- restart & retry.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Erase and re-install? Some advice...

First, go through the FAQ thread in this forum. Specifically, try deleting your caches.

If that doesn't help, create a new user from the System Preferences' Accounts panel. If that new account works, then there's something funky about the one you've been using. I would try migrating your files over to that account if that's the case and then delete your old account. If you want your old login name back, just recreate it after you've deleted it and move your files back into that one.

Note: should you choose the account migration method, move only the files that you *know* you need. Documents, Music, Movies, and so forth are all fine. What I'm referring to is the contents of the home Library folder. Only bring with you the files there for programs that you know you need. Let the system regenerate clean copies of the rest as needed.

Another question:

Do you have any haxies or other 3rd-party utilities installed? Norton? Anything that loads at startup or in the background like this could cause problems.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Well that's what I'm told whenever i phone apple about any problems with anything. And what's wrong with the method other than the fact it takes a lot of time?

(I'll go shall i )

SORRY FOR THE BAD ADVICE, I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.