Sawtooth G4 = Zip Drive?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Whenever I see any pictures of the sawtooth G4 (I think that's the model anyway) they all have Zip drives in them. I don't know why but I swear every single one I see has a Zip drive...what's the reason for this? Did Apple have some kind of deal on internal Zip drives when they came out, or was that just the most popular media at the time? I know it's a stupid question but I'm bored and curious.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I have a G4 400 sawtooth. This version had the zip drive standard because of the absence of a floppy drive or CDRW. Good machine. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 466 just out of curiosity to see if its really any faster(my machine seems pretty damn snappy to me)...........................................
  • Reply 2 of 3
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by wolfeye155:

<strong>Whenever I see any pictures of the sawtooth G4 (I think that's the model anyway) they all have Zip drives in them. I don't know why but I swear every single one I see has a Zip drive...what's the reason for this? Did Apple have some kind of deal on internal Zip drives when they came out, or was that just the most popular media at the time? I know it's a stupid question but I'm bored and curious. </strong><hr></blockquote>

the ZIP drive was standard on what appears to be the most popular model purchased. the $2499 model. I have one too and it comes in handy from time to time. My old B/W G3 also had one
  • Reply 3 of 3
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    My 300 MHz beige G3 tower had a zip drive standard. They are very useful.