Any Sign of 10.3.3

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have found the latest release of OS X to be a bit sluggish and buggy and a number of my mates have had the same experience (I'm running it on a new 15" 1.25GHz Powerbook). Does anyone know or has there been any sign of the next build? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    i wish
  • Reply 2 of 53
    well, i mean, i'm sure theyre working on it, but who knows when it'll be. I imagine it wont be too long simply because this is such a great time for apple. maybe in the next two months???? we'll see... (dont hold me to my word)
  • Reply 3 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

we'll see... (dont hold me to my word)

what should we hold you to then? jk
  • Reply 4 of 53
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Well I love the speed of Panther but my twain scanners are both broken I have also noticed an increase if applications that "unexpectdly quit". I just don't know why Apple does this. HP must be fed up of re-writing their drivers. Everytime they have upgraded OSX my HP MFP has stopped working.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    10.3.3? Is that some new version of, say, Mac OS X?

So, wouldn't it makes sense for this thread to be in, oh, the Mac OS X forum?

Moving!
  • Reply 6 of 53
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Are there any major problems to be fixed in 10.3.2?

I thought the FileVault and FireWire 800 things and other minor annoyances were put down in that update.

A 10.3.3 release would only get out the gate if there were problems to be remedied. Performance improvements do get rolled into these, but the driving force for a x.x.x update is to fix user complaints.

And I don't know of any major complaints with 10.3.2 up to this point.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

Are there any major problems to be fixed in 10.3.2?

Though much improved over 10.3.1, the Finder's Network view in 10.3.2 is still a bit flaky. While Panther definitely has a better browsing GUI than Jaguar's Go/Connect to Server (which still exists in the Panther Go menu, but with reduced functionality which is supposed to now be in Finder windows), I find that Jaguar's network browsing is more consistent and reliable than it is in Panther as of 10.3.2.

As of 10.3.2, updates of what file servers are available are slow and inconsistent. For instance, I've sometimes had to reboot my computer to convince it to show me an available file share, or to stop showing a file share from a computer that has been disconnected. Things that used to mount on the desktop, and clearly be in a mounted or ejected state no longer are. Etc., etc. There's still a bit of work to do here that I hope to see come through in 10.3.3.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    10.3.2 has been significantly sluggish for a number of people I know. Read the Apple discussion forums. There are myriad reports of constant beachball hangs and application crashes (Especially Mail and Safari). I even know people who have had complete freezes of 10.3.2 which I hhave never seen myself. Congratulations on having no problems. But many others are.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    They should release a 10.3.2.1 with the fix to the boot up speed issue.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    Safari has also been buggy about icons, often displaying the wrong icon for a file (a jpeg represented with an application icon, for instance).
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by cjboffoli

Congratulations on having no problems. But many others are.

I'm actually not running 10.3.2. The 10.2.8 debacle convinced me to stay one release behind at all times.

My point was that, aside from sluggish performance issues, I hadn't heard of anyone having serious problems with the update. So I didn't think Apple would put out an update for performance alone.

I stand corrected.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Heh. Then look stuff up. Fans on PowerBooks, nothing showing up in the Network, apps randomly crashing everywhere (that is the worst for me, if an app crashes you still lose your work, you might as well be in OS 9) and flaky behavior like key combos not working, that still affects me a lot, even in Safari and DVD Player, sometimes the arrows won't respond until I mouse the menu bar. 10.3.2 is as flaky as 10.2.8. Updates have been sucking crap lately. I think they should actually take their time with 10.3.3. As long a time as they need.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    My 15inch AlPB is freezing and crashing like crazy right now. I have 10.3.2 and it is really bad. I don't know what to do. I have no way of backing up my documents until Monday!!
  • Reply 14 of 53
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

My 15inch AlPB is freezing and crashing like crazy right now. I have 10.3.2 and it is really bad. I don't know what to do. I have no way of backing up my documents until Monday!!

As mentioned before, try quitting all unnessescary fonts. OSX is much more sensitive on (not even that) bad fonts than OS9. They might even work without a problem, but they can make apps and your whole system unstable. Or run Fontdoctor, you would be surprised.

They should fix that in 10.3.3.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

Well I love the speed of Panther but my twain scanners are both broken I have also noticed an increase if applications that "unexpectdly quit". I just don't know why Apple does this. HP must be fed up of re-writing their drivers. Everytime they have upgraded OSX my HP MFP has stopped working.

i figure this won't help your plight, but i will say that panther is now the FIST mac os x release that allows me to print DIRECTLY from InDesign to my epson non-postscript inkjet without any problems.

but i did have to send in a few suggestions via "feedback" on apple.com for panther. here's what i said to them...

Quote:

I have been using Panther for several weeks now, and I have found the upgrade to be worthwhile, but there are a few user interface issue I would like to suggest for a minor update in the future, primarily dealing with the new Finder windows and Exposé.

First, with regards to the Finder window, I believe there should be a "slider thumb" next to the Find field at the top of the window, to allow someone to manually pull it open to see longer search terms easier (essentially, make it exactly like Safari's behavior.

Also, there should be a better way to quickly hide the sidebar in Finder windows than the upper right hand window button, which removes EVERYthing back to a more Classic arrangement. There must be a happy medium somewhere. Perhaps a button similar to Microsoft's Internet Explorer and in Entourage, where the sidebar can be minimized to simply text titles or icons with rollover descriptions?

Another thing, why is it that the sidebar icons only change size when using the bottom right hand window resize thumb, and not the sidebar divider by itself?

Finally, an odd thing i noticed using Exposé the other day... it's not a bug, per se, but it is inconsistent. I had a tone of applications and windows open, and decided to use Exposé's View All Windows feature, found the window I thought I was looking for, and selected it. However, it turned out I was incorrect. No big deal, just invoke Exposé again, right? The thing is I didn't open any new windows, but all the windows minimized into DIFFERENT places.

At first, i thought maybe the foremost window would always be minimized into the same place, which would kind of make sense, and then all the other windows would shift accordingly. This would explain why selecting a different window causes the shift. But from what I can tell, there is NO consistency as to where the foremost window gets minimized to. So keep minimizing, clicking, and maximizing, and the minimized windows will keep shifting around, with no apparent rhyme or reason. I would think that there should be SOME consistency in this behavior, such as the last foremost window is always minimized to the upper left hand corner of the screen on which it resides, and the other windows are shuffled accordingly.

Another point about Exposé: it doesn't incorporate windows minimized to the Dock. So what if the window I want was minimized several minutes ago, but I just forgot it was there (this happens a lot with Safari, as I will often minimize Windows to the Dock when browsing). It seems that when Exposé is invoked, the Dock-minimized windows should AT LEAST be highlighted and possible expanded to their largest size to assist in tracking down the appropriate window. I wouldn't bring them flying back and forth out of the Dock just for Exposé, unless you just wanted to show off to show friends.

Anyway, I hope you found this feedback helpful. And, as the guy who sent in the suggestion for badged Dock-minimized windows, feel free to drop me a line if a position should open up in the User Interface department.

;-)

• Reply 16 of 53
    Quote:

Also, there should be a better way to quickly hide the sidebar in Finder windows than the upper right hand window button, which removes EVERYthing back to a more Classic arrangement. There must be a happy medium somewhere. Perhaps a button similar to Microsoft's Internet Explorer and in Entourage, where the sidebar can be minimized to simply text titles or icons with rollover descriptions?

You can already do this?
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

You can already do this?

Yes, you CAN already do this.

Just slide the adjustable bar over until it "snaps" into the place that fits only the icons themselves.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    I've found 10.3.2 to be quite flaky. I've had a few times when the system wouldn't come out of the screensaver properly. Instead of bringing up the authentication window, it would just display a black screen. I've had safari routinely crash, quicktime previews in column view screw up the selection ability, etc. I can't wait for 10.3.3
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

I'm actually not running 10.3.2. The 10.2.8 debacle convinced me to stay one release behind at all times.

ditto
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Think Secret is now saying a security update "with enhancements" is due on Monday.

Maybe this will fix a few of the problems here.