Weird Mail Problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all,

This is the first major problem I have had with OS X since I installed it almost a year ago, and it's a weird one!

I checked my email this morning, all was well, downloaded the messages to my machine etc. Then came to check it again later and it displayed the exact same set of messages. No problem I thought, probably just a server problem at my ISP's end (I have mail set up to delete messages on the server after downloading).

Not so! I now have between five and six versions of the same message in my inbox, there isn't a server problem as far as I know because I am able to check my messages via a web browser., which is currently displaying about ten new messages. The ones I received this morning I keep getting copies of every time I hit the 'get mail' button and I cannot get the newer ones. Help!

I have a feeling it is just a matter of deleting a preference file, but which one?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Try just quitting Mail and restarting it so it can resync to the server.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Already been done. And restarted and pretty much everything else I can think of except deleting a preference file!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Hurm. Sounds like it's thinking it's deleting the files, but it's not, so the next time through it thinks the current msgs are 'new'.

Odd.

I don't use POP any more, so I'll have to poke around and see what's what with the prefs files. I expect it'll be in the actual account folder, and not in the general prefs for Mail.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Have you set up any rules for that mail box recently?

Last year I set some rules to move Mac.com inbox mail to another mailbox and wham, Mail started duplicating messages like a bi@tch, BTW,there was a thread at apple support about it back then too, that was the only way i got it fixed..

So maybe check your rules even if you didn't change them.