Talk of the Nation

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Today (Tuesday Jan 20) on the 3pm EST show they are talking about the Mac and 20 years. You can hear to on your local NPR station or listen to many of the web streams of NPR stations across the country if you are not by a radio.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

Today (Tuesday Jan 20) on the 3pm EST show they are talking about the Mac and 20 years. You can hear to on your local NPR station or listen to many of the web streams of NPR stations across the country if you are not by a radio.

what station on my iTunes list?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    um . . . what talk show is it

and did you know that your NPR station is not the same as . . .probably . . teh next county over from you . . . much less my NPR station?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    the show is called TALK OF THE NATION this link will provide listening access. (i think)
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

um . . . what talk show is it

and did you know that your NPR station is not the same as . . .probably . . teh next county over from you . . . much less my NPR station?

Thats why I suggested if your local NPR station does not carry the show then to look online. most NPR stations carry a series of shows that are broadcast nationally.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Here's a link to the Mac story.

Sad that they don't have quicktime as a listening option. Either WMP9 (DRM evil) or RealPlayer (goat balls quality).
  • Reply 6 of 12
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    I listened.... I turned it off.

Of course it broke down into a PC vs. Mac debate. I knew it was going downhill when the host asked a PC mag editor why he thought PCs were better.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

I listened.... I turned it off.

Of course it broke down into a PC vs. Mac debate. I knew it was going downhill when the host asked a PC mag editor why he thought PCs were better.

it did turn out to be a bad show. Rather than talk about the history and accomplishments of the Mac it was just a silly rehash of old ideas about the Mac. The one that really pissed me off was the old idea that you can't use standard equipment with the Mac- which of course is no longer true and has not been for 5 years.

Alas old habits or information dies hard.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    (ignore)
  • Reply 9 of 12
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Just finished it...I like how the PC guy's best defense for using PCs is that PCs are more mainstream. This guy needs to actually use a Mac before he bashes them.

But they are right about the elitism of the Mac user though.

Edit: Lance (PCmag.com guy) is an FT.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    It seems like that Lance guy is on Ira's show quite a bit. Usually spouting idiotic crap like you mentioned. *shrug*
  • Reply 11 of 12
    ethoxethox Posts: 34member
    I listened to the show as well yesterday, and was both disappointed and not surpised of how it all turned out. I found both guest really not fully informed about Apple/Macs in general. And the comment from the PC Editor about that there were not as many applications made me laugh aloud and almost run off of I-540 while I was on my way home. I run into and hear of this all of the time (friends, family, and foes), and for just general info, there are over 10,000 applications that are now native for OS-X (Panther), says it on Apples own site, and here is another interesting thing, quite a few are, and it growing, for the enterpise level as well.

I did call in, and though I didn't get on, I ended up talking to the screener quite a bit, and filled him in on the facts, he was quite surprised that I could answer all of his questions with ease and knowledge about the platform, he said that he really hasn't seen Apple's OS in over 10years. But you know what, he is a good example of why many people aren't interested or would not consider an Apple/Mac, he is simply not informed and really the question is who's fault is that? We all know the truth of the matter, but many do not. The screener ended by saying to me that he was going to go to the Apple Store and check out the hardware and the latest OS, he did say to me that he was sick of all the issues that seem to be numerous on the Windows Platform.

I did pose this question to him, "Are you a satisfied customer with the OS Product you are using currently, and if not, why as a consumer are you not looking into something different or an alternative that has value, why do you (and others) put up with it?" His answer to me was "you're right".
  • Reply 12 of 12
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    sigh. i wish someone who says "the pc has more applications... just walk into your local staples or compusa and look at the difference" would have the balls to go in there, and buy ONLY applications that were only available on the pc, and not the mac, too, and try to survive for a month.

guess you'd have to get real chummy with wordperfect, paintshop pro, and frontpage to name a few. let's see, you couldn't watch any realplayer video, or quicktime, or windows media (unless it was .avi's), office is out of the question, almost all of corel's graphics apps are cross-platform (though there is a versioning difference in some apps). sure, there'd be a few smaller apps (or even bigger apps, like 3d studio max) that you could get by with, but then i bet you could find equivalently useful smaller (or larger) 3rd party or shareware apps to accomplish those tasks equally well.

leaving, you guessed it, games, as the lone sledgehammer that the pc world still has over us.

now THERE's a reality check for ya.

p.s. i guess i'm just bitter that my rich father-in-law just bought a pc. yeah, like he needs to save money. sheesh.