Classical music on iTMS

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I want to get much more classical music, as I've very little right now in my music library. Any suggestions? (Links to the songs on iTMS would be great)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    look in the box iTunes essentials, it has a choral list and a childrens list, a baroque list.

they could use some help with a "warhorse" list.

maybe you should drop them a suggestion note.

if i were to pick five warhorses:

pictures at an exhibition - modest mussorgsky

the planets - gustav holst

4 seasons - peter ilyich tchaikovsky

9th symphony - beethoven

my kids really like the peter and the wolf with david bowie

i'd link, but the iTMS only browses by artist, not composer (unless you know composers first names, but who knows mussorgsky's first name is modest?) and i'm not current enough to go wading through.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    http://www.naxos.com/naxos/naxos_marco_polo.htm

You can sample whole album online. No 30 sec crap. Tiz not HiFi, but enough to let you appreciate what's on.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

I want to get much more classical music, as I've very little right now in my music library. Any suggestions? (Links to the songs on iTMS would be great)

Hey, I'm a classical musician and please im me, I love talking about music and have a lot of suggestions for you and can tell exactly what type of classical you would like.

my aim is : stevegongrui298

Peace.

Steve.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    You really can't go wrong with classical, it's pretty much all great stuff. Like Blue Shift said, sample a bunch of tracks and see what sounds good to you.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    well that's highly doubtful, someone who likes beethoven's symphonies isn't going to be thrilled with something by morton subotnik or john cage or edgar varése.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Some personal favs, just for starters. Most are either Baroque or Neoclassical. I don't go for Romantic era stuff so much. These are all iTMS links:

Josquin Desprez, renaissance polyphony

Vivaldi's Four Seasons (excellent recordings, this)

Vivaldi guitar concertos

Handel's Messiah (hope you like singing)

Mozart piano concertos

Mozart's Symphonies 40 & 41

Mozart's Requiem (more singing)

Shubert's "Unfinished" Symphony

A late Stravinsky symphony

I couldn't find this recording by the Huelgas Ensemble on the iTMS, an excellent introduction to Renaissance music.

Also Arvo Pärt is one of my favorite composers, a contemporary, his work sounds both minimal and medeival. Haunting stuff. His Litany is a rare work sung in English (he's Estonian) and it's amazing.

Have fun!
  • Reply 7 of 17
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Great question. I'd like to find some things similar to 'Flight of The Valkyries' and/or 'Carmina Burana'. I'm uneducated in the ways of classical, but these (and Strauss, bit of Mozart and a few strong Beethoven...Vivaldi somewhat) are about the extent of my knowledge. I'm looking for more of the 'shit your pants overwhelming' type stuff.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    xenuxenu Posts: 204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

4 seasons - peter ilyich tchaikovsky

I think you mean Vivaldi.

Don't know if it's on the web site, but try

Beethoven's piano concertos 2 & 3 (or 3 & 4? Must listen to them again, soon! Actually, all 5 are good.).

Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite.

Mozart's piano concertos 20 & 21.

Mozart's concertos for two pianos.

Mozart's Requiem.

Orff's Carmina Burana.

Schubert's 8th & 9th symphonies.

Shostakovich's piano concerto No 2.

Shostakovich symphony No 5.

Tchaikovsky's 5th & 6th symphonies.

Wagner's Ring Cycle - the abridged version.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by xenu

I think you mean Vivaldi.

Don't know if it's on the web site, but try

Beethoven's piano concertos 2 & 3 (or 3 & 4? Must listen to them again, soon! Actually, all 5 are good.).

Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite.

Mozart's piano concertos 20 & 21.

Mozart's concertos for two pianos.

Mozart's Requiem.

Orff's Carmina Burana.

Schubert's 8th & 9th symphonies.

Shostakovich's piano concerto No 2.

Shostakovich symphony No 5.

Tchaikovsky's 5th & 6th symphonies.

Wagner's Ring Cycle - the abridged version.

oops actually what i did was get ahead of myself peter ilyitch was for the peter and the wolf but i pointed to the bowie version instead i just kind of got ahead of myself.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    ....but Peter and the Wolf is Prokofiev

No one has mentioned his name, but Gustav Mahler was quite the composer. I have read this nonsense about "not exposing people" to his stuff too quickly, but please. Listen to his first symphony, first movement of second symphony, and the fifth and fourth symphonies. You'll LOVE IT!! The finale of the first symphony is very close to what some of you are searching for in terms of "Carmina Burana-esque" music (no choir, though, but still, big and booming).

Don't pass up Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique, either. Brilliance at its zenith. As far as chamber music goes, Dvorak's 'American' Quartet is quite popular and is easy to get into compared to other quartets. The Beethoven quartets are also exceptional.

You might want to also look at some concertos (full orchestral-accompanied pieces written for solo instruments). The Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto is quite stirring, along with Bruch and Brahms' violin concertos. If you don't know the cellist Jacqueline du Pre, introduce yourself by hearing the Elgar Concerto performed by her, then look at her other stuff ------ again, brilliance, but cut short by multiple sclerosis.

Oh, I'm going on too much .... but another good one is Schumann's first symphony. BTW, all this is available on iTMS.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    nwhyseenwhysee Posts: 151member
    I have a favor to ask of you guys, can you guys tell me what the sample is in "Ludacris - Coming America". I know if anyone knows what the original song is, its probably you guys.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Ralph Vaughan Williams my favorite.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate your help.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Glenn Gould is Kickass - Dude plays a mean Bach, Yo!

Can't go wrong with Chopin

I'll second the Krieg and Wagner suggestions.

And Tomas Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor. I only know this song from Jim Morrison's American Prayer, which I thought was very cool in high school. Now, not so much. Still, it's a gut-wrenching little tune. - Mad iTunes Linkage
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

I'm looking for more of the 'shit your pants overwhelming' type stuff.

Try the 2nd and 3rd Rachmaninoff piano concerti. Those will make you shit your pants guaranteed.

I think you'd also like Verdi's Requiem mass. I personally prefer Mozarts, but they are both wonderful.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Objectively speaking, I don't think Chopin wrote a single boring piece.

Check out his marvelous piano works. The Etudes, ballades and preludes are all nice. I like playing his nocturnes.

His 1st piano concerto is quite something.

I am a big fan of Beethoven and I like his piano sonatas. One of his nice pieces I'm listening to right now is the kreutzer violin sonata. It's just something else. If you can, get it played by anne-sophie mutter.

Tell me what you think.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    xenuxenu Posts: 204member
    I agree with stevegongrui - Beethoven's violin concerto with Anne-Sophie Mutter. Brilliant.

Aditional music ...

Albinoni's Oboe concertos.

J.S. Bach's Brandenburg Concertos.

Beethoven's 5th, 6th & 9th symphonies.

Brahm's 1st and 4th symphonies. The cds I have also contain songs by Brahms. They are lovely. I also have his Hungarian dances, and variations on a theme by Haydn. All worth listening to.

Handel's: Fireworks Music & Water Music

Mahler's 5th symphony.

Sibelius' Finlandia (or the music from Die Hard 3).