Dells new Offer: free "combo drive"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
saw the comercial today and was appaled that it took them this long to copy apple hardware...instead of calling it a CD-RW/DVD-R its now a "combo" goddamn them dell folk.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    uh what that's nothing new I see those drives listed as combos all over the place, the bastards
  • Reply 2 of 10
    SuperDrive is trademarked though.. combo drive isn't... even though they know they took it from Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I thought that CD-RW/DVD was traditionally named as a combo. I forsee this confusing some people...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    it seems logical enough. it isn't as though it requires a stroke of genius to come up with the name "combo drive"
  • Reply 5 of 10
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Yeah. I see "combination DVD-ROM, CD-RW drive" a lot. Doesn't take that much innovation to shorten that down to "combo".

• Reply 6 of 10
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    just fyi, over this past week, i stayed with my sister-in-law and she has one of those dell boxes bought off the ads, and boy oh boy, she saved a lot, but that thing is dog slow and crippled running windows xp home and hardly anything else. i could barely install acrobat reader on it (though i blame adobe's insistence on using an adobe "helper" script that seems to conflict with xp).

the monitor is SMALL (though the commercial makes it look big... probably a photoshopped high res image on the screen, and the speakers and tower are small in person, but on the ad, they make the monitor seem much larger.

and the whole thing felt cheap. damn cheap. i'm sorry, but it did. sure, she saved a lot of money, AND got a free printer in the deal, but i will still happily pay an extra $1000 for an imac equivalent.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

just fyi, over this past week, i stayed with my sister-in-law and she has one of those dell boxes bought off the ads, and boy oh boy, she saved a lot, but that thing is dog slow and crippled running windows xp home and hardly anything else. i could barely install acrobat reader on it (though i blame adobe's insistence on using an adobe "helper" script that seems to conflict with xp).

the monitor is SMALL (though the commercial makes it look big... probably a photoshopped high res image on the screen, and the speakers and tower are small in person, but on the ad, they make the monitor seem much larger.

and the whole thing felt cheap. damn cheap. i'm sorry, but it did. sure, she saved a lot of money, AND got a free printer in the deal, but i will still happily pay an extra $1000 for an imac equivalent.

yeah.. i run off one at home and it sux...i got a G4 tiBook on its way tho
  • Reply 8 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I have no problem with them calling it a combo drive. Everybody else uses the term combo drive for a DVD-ROM/CD-RW so buyers will be more likely to confuse the DVD±RW drive for lesser hardware.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Exactly Combo isn't a trademark. What's dumb is how they offer "free upgrades" like this. Um, free cd-rw/dvd? Wow that's like buying a car with 3 wheels and getting the 4th free. What a bargain!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    nwhyseenwhysee Posts: 151member
    I'm surprised Dell didnt just call it an 'Ultra Drive".