ye obligatory "if the presidential election were now" poll

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am quite curious, though I think as an AO population we are fairly left-leaning.

latest Gallup has Bush's approval at 53%:

detailed info

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, i can't say for certain until the dust settles in the democratic race. i won't JUST vote democrat regardless of who wins.

right now, based on what little i know of the candidates, i would vote kerry over bush. if clark or dean gets the nod, it'd be a coin flip (i think they both have very strong pros, but some of their cons are bad enough for me to consider holding the status quo). liebermann nauseates me, just like he did in 2000, and edwards seems like a used car salesman to me.

can i write in mccain?
  • Reply 2 of 44
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    You really expect a true sampling of what the American people are going to think on this ultra liberal board? My vote is for Bush.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    p.s. re: 3rd party... anyone know if reform or green will even HAVE a candidate this year?
  • Reply 4 of 44
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

can i write in mccain?

I know I will if Clark doesn't get the nomination....or Nader.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

You really expect a true sampling of what the American people are going to think on this ultra liberal board? My vote is for Bush.

i do not expect a true sample, nor do i want one (that's what Gallup is for); I'm just wondering what my fellow AIers think.

Yes, we are a pinko-commie group here. Or just well-informed
  • Reply 6 of 44
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Of the candidates running for the Dem nomination, I'd vote for any of them over Bush, unless something really weird happened. And I can't imagine voting for a third party.

And Nader has made some waves about running again this time around.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    I'd have to say I would vote for Bush.

I would like for someone to invent a way to bring people back from the dead, that way we could bring back Teddy Roosevelt and get the party back on track.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Of the candidates running for the Dem nomination, I'd vote for any of them over Bush, unless something really weird happened. And I can't imagine voting for a third party.

And Nader has made some waves about running again this time around.

i think we need an independent that appeals to the right this year. not going to happen, of course
  • Reply 9 of 44
    If Dean or Kucinich do not win the nomination, it's either a Nader for me or a write-in for Dean. I'm never going to vote for any establishment sellouts/panderers.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Bush pushes all the right's buttons... they'll stick with him even if there were someone further to the right than him... not that it's really even possible.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Wow, these boards don't lean to the left, do we? \
  • Reply 12 of 44
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I will vote Democratic if Clark, Edwards, Kuchinich or Dean wins but not for the same reasons. Clark is the candidate I have least fears with. Kickaha has me convinced that Edwards isn´t that great a person but I think he would be effective. Kuchinich may not be prsidential material but neither is Bush and sometimes you have to put a person who is a bit of an extremist (which both Bush and Kuchinich are) in the driving seat as long as they don´t hurt too much (which Bush does) to show that not everything is grey. Dean would be a good all around president with a bit of a temper. Still better than Bush.

Liebermann or Kerry would not be enough different from Bush for me to waste my vote on. Green party for me. Sharpton is a joke.

Wait you say I can´t vote? Then I will sell you the voting machines
  • Reply 13 of 44
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I don't vote in US
  • Reply 14 of 44
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

i do not expect a true sample, nor do i want one (that's what Gallup is for); I'm just wondering what my fellow AIers think.

Yes, we are a pinko-commie group here. Or just well-informed

I'd say we're more informed than the average person on some issues (mostly social), but basic information on things like the Constitution and economics isn't much better than the average citizen, I fear.

More money for high school US History classes! Grr!
  • Reply 15 of 44
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Wow, these boards don't lean to the left, do we? \

1. This is an international forum, and this is just a wild guess, but I'd bet Bush is much much less popular outside of the US than inside it.

2. Mac users are just smarter than your average knuckleheaded Republican Windows users.

• Reply 16 of 44
    Ideally Kucinich, but he's never going to get the nom and wouldn't beat Bush so Clark would get my vote.

Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

You really expect a true sampling of what the American people are going to think on this ultra liberal board?

Ultra-liberal? Are you serious?
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

2. Mac users are just smarter than your average knuckleheaded Republican Windows users.

nothing like a solid overgeneralization to start the day at least the republicans we have here are such for legitimate reasons. granted, if all the gun, gay, and abortion voters voted democrat, we would have a 75% or so majority, but oh well.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yeah, and if all the security, low-tax, free market, immigration reform folks voted in a bloc, Reps would have that majority.

Pity us in the middle, with neither party looking that appealing.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Yeah, and if all the security, low-tax, free market, immigration reform folks voted in a bloc, Reps would have that majority.

Pity us in the middle, with neither party looking that appealing.

good point. i think reps are the unrestricted free-market types though (preferring efficiency to equity )
  • Reply 20 of 44
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Kucinich, Sharpton, Edwards, Clark, McCain, Kerry, Dean, Me, Bush

in order of electability... Meaning that it is given that (my pick) will be AT LEAST getting more then 20% of the national vote... If that is not the case move to the next person down the line... The exception of course being me... I would of course vote for myself over bush any day... (there should be a "conscientious objector" option... but I guess that would be the same as voting for Kucinich... remember that NADER ****ed up the last election... lets try not to do the same...)

so it depends on who wins the nomination I guess...

but I hope that leaves us with Edwards...