Classic printing problems with HP printer

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Any help would be great, I can't figure this one out.

I was helping my mother set up her new eMac and was unable to print to her HP Photosmart printer from Classic (word) applications. The printer was installed correctly and will print from OS X programs. When in classic, the HP printer doesn't even show up in the chooser. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    I would like to know the deal with this as well. I had the same thing happen so I rebooted into OS9 and installed drivers bla, bla... The result was that my comp went into super slow mode each time I printed something and stayed that way. As if all RAM had been used and virtual memory kicked in. I have 704 MB of RAM and had only one app open! I boot back into OS X and the same slowness is there as well. I run disk utilities and it finds tons of crap about HP. Still this didn't fix it so I ended up trashing all HP drivers to return my Mac to it's original state.

What the hell?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    kwondokwondo Posts: 217member
    I've had this experience since I was helping a small business set up networking and switching to OS X. They had HP 940 series printer which is total crap. Then I got them an HP All-in-one printer because HP is the only one that makes all-in-one w/ built-in dedicated fax.

First off, you cannot uninstall its driver if you don't have the disk. Secondly, It will not work in Classic. Third, background printing ...no such thing because it hogs up a lot of memory that you have to wait for the computer to finish printing. These were all confirmed by the HP tech, who was very helpful but doesn't change the fact that the driver sucks royally!