National traits

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have travelled a fair amount, but generally never stayed anyplace long enough to get an accurate idea of national traits.

What especially noticeable and consistent traits do the people of various nations (including your own) seem to have?

For example, I think Americans are open and friendly.

Also, are there traits that surprised you about the people of some countries, and if so what are they?

For example, I always thought English guys were quite 'reserved'. I was surprised to find that's not really true at all!

Thanks for any replies.

Carol

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    It really depends on the place. People in Naples act differently than Florence etc etc. That said bavarians have a bizarre conservative mind set.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    I noticed on a jet back from europe that the scottish seem to have bad B.O.

Not that I am painting them all with that brush, but the smell thing seemed very anti-american. I mean we seem to shower everyday here in the US, over there it's once a month or so I think.

maybe we should invade scotland for have B.O.M.D....sorry, lets not get GWB off on another crusade.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

It really depends on the place. People in Naples act differently than Florence etc etc. That said bavarians have a bizarre conservative mind set.

Differently, in what way though?

Could you give some examples?

Thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Something that surprises me is reading that the younger people in Iran are quite pro-West.

I wonder how they got that way? I think this trait started being exhibited even before the internet became readily available in Iran. (At least I think it's readily available. Does anyone know if it is for sure?)

Has anyone travelled to Iran?

Are Americans prohibited from going there, btw?
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Let me start by apologizing in advance for any unintended offense caused,

and say... "Stereotypes are bad, mmmmkay?"

<can of worms>

Now that that's out of the way...

I would suggest that nationals in their home country are one thing...

national traits while travelling or living as an expatriate are different.

My expat life and travels, and the particular people I've met suggest the following stereotypes...

Some Americans (usually older) are considered rude and arrogant while overseas

(offended when the rest of the world doesn't speak English or sell Mcfood

I've seen Texans berate restaurant staff in Paris because there wasn't ketchup on the table)

Watch any episode of "The Amazing Race" to see this in action.

Canadians are generally considered polite and mild mannered

(I've met dozens of Americans who stick Canadian flags on their backpacks to avoid getting harassed while overseas. When asked, they stated that they'd rather be universally liked and considered harmless than risk kidnapping or abuse in dozens of countries.)

Cultural critics here occasionally bemoan our lack of chest-beating-pride on many fronts

except perhaps lacrosse, hockey, beer, and winter.

< Full Disclosure: I'm Canadian, eh? >

Brazillians are generally considered party people (Carnival in Rio sets a big tone)

Australians are often considered forward and blunt

(hetero or homo, both men and women are less shy than neighbouring Kiwis I've met)

Finns are often dour and withdrawn (winter above the circle keeps 'em inside and drinking)

Thais are almost universally happy and contented monarchists (at least the ones I've met)

maybe there's a weather connection in all of this...

tropical folk content, frigid folk reserved, temperate folk occasionally intemperate?

</can of worms>

hmmm... to hit submit and risk hurting feelings (so unCanadian) or not...
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

Differently, in what way though?

Could you give some examples?

Thanks.

Certainly. The men are much more aggressive in Naples (I was traveling with a female friend). There is a sort of blase attitude in Naples (probably by contrast there are less tourist there than in Florence); and at the same time the city seems to move much faster people included.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Some of the Canadians i work with have a chip on their shoulder.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Some of the Canadians i work with have a chip on their shoulder.

as long as they have a beer or dip on the other shoulder, invite them over!

</me thinks again about editing earlier post>
  • Reply 9 of 40
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Canadians have flapping heads and beady little eyes.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    i've found picts to be quite playful and charming.

whereas druids tend to be gloomy and overbearing.

and the anasazi's, well they just drive me up the wall!
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Let me start by apologizing in advance for any unintended offense caused,

and say... "Stereotypes are bad, mmmmkay?"

Americans are often considered rude and arrogant while overseas

(offended when the rest of the world doesn't speak English or sell Mcfood

I've seen Texans berate restaurant staff in Paris because there wasn't ketchup on the table)

Canadians are generally considered polite and mild mannered

(I've met dozens of Americans who stick Canadian flags on their backpacks to avoid getting harassed while overseas. When asked, they stated that they'd rather be universally liked and considered harmless than risk kidnapping or abuse in dozens of countries.)

Cultural critics here occasionally bemoan our lack of chest-beating-pride on many fronts

except perhaps lacrosse, hockey, beer, and winter.

< Full Disclosure: I'm Canadian, eh? >

Brazillians are generally considered party people (Carnival in Rio sets a big tone)

Australians are often considered forward and blunt

(hetero or homo, both men and women are less shy than neighbouring Kiwis I've met)

Finns are often dour and withdrawn (winter above the circle keeps 'em inside and drinking)

Thais are almost universally happy and contented monarchists (at least the ones I've met)

hmmm... to hit submit and risk hurting feelings (so unCanadian) or not...

Hi Curiousuburb -

The Americans who are considered rude and arrogant - are those generally middle-aged type tourists? Surely younger Americans wouldn't be especially rude and arrogant, would they?

I love Canada - especially British Columbia, Vancouver and Victoria - wonderful places. I didn't really get to 'know' any Canadians while I was there, though. But I'm afraid I have to say I was treated quite rudely in Quebec City, I guess because my French language skills did not meet with their approval.

When I travelled in South America, I found the Brazilians to be tremendously fun-loving - always ready to dance and sing, especially the samba, in the aisles of trains or anywhere. But farther south, the Argentines were more serious and less exuberant; as you pointed out, colder climate = more reserved people.

Actually, I read a survey on the BBC last year about the opinions of European business owners wrt tourists. The poll indicated that the most polite tourists were first the Germans, and second, the Americans. The British came in as the most rude (out of 25). All three of those results surprised me. But the poll was of European shopkeepers and small business owners, not of regular European citizens.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

i've found picts to be quite playful and charming.

Oh come on now, you don't even speak Pictish.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

But I'm afraid I have to say I was treated quite rudely in Quebec City, I guess because my French language skills did not meet with their approval.

My sister lives in Quebec at the moment, and she has discovered this as well. After residing there for a couple of years, she has determined that it is not because of language skills, but because of heritage that she is treated badly. As she put it "the Quebecois are holding a grudge against the English that is 200 years old". Apparently they are still a bit peeved about being occupied way back when. I don't mean to sound discriminatory or condescending - this is just what she has found. In fact, I myself can't have a valid opinion of the Quebecois yet, as the last time I visited Quebec was in 8th grade when I was significantly less culturally aware than I am now. It seems a bit silly to me though - my American sister is just trying to have a life in another country. She is curious about their culture, and she wants to learn all she can about their fine city, but they have prejudices against her based upon events from the distant past and are hampering her quality of life so much that she is moving to Vancouver soon.

The rest of Canada, from what i have seen, is stereotyped to be fun loving, caring, and amiable.

Personally, I don't judge people until I have interacted with them. So, in short, I don't follow stereotypes, and don't mean to offend anyone with this post (I don't want to risk this by stating traits of any other nations). I am simply answering the interesting querey. 8)
  • Reply 14 of 40
    If any of you ladies visit Victoria or Vancouver, allow me to buy you a drink.

Nice sig Nebulous.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebulous

Personally, I don't judge people until I have interacted with them. So, in short, I don't follow stereotypes

Bravo! I admire your wisdom!

Fellows
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

If any of you ladies visit Victoria or Vancouver, allow me to buy you a drink.

Nice sig Nebulous.

Why thank you
  • Reply 17 of 40
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Personally, I don't judge people until I have interacted with them. So, in short, I don't follow stereotypes, and don't mean to offend anyone with this post (I don't want to risk this by stating traits of any other nations). I am simply answering the interesting querey. 8)

There's nothing wrong with prejudging people, it's blindly sticking to those presumptions that's a problem. Not being able to recognize your assumptions are just that, assumptions, is a problem. Relying on a generalization is fine because you have to start somewhere. Ignoring facts is just wrong though.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Bravo! I admire your wisdom!

Fellows

Thank you very much! I just think preconceived opinions are silly. Personalities differ, and are not necessarily constrained by social upbringing. Traits based upon location do exist, but they are not guidelines for how to view others, per se.

To add to the forum topic, however: I have noticed a few differences between East and West Coasters in America. Those on the East coast can sometimes be more reserved. From what I saw growing up there, they have their space, and others are not welcome to invade it. West Coasters (at least where I come from), on the other hand, are all about the hugs.

By the way, here's a belated congratz on your mod-ship, Fellows!
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:

Thank you very much! I just think preconceived opinions are silly. Personalities differ, and are not necessarily constrained by social upbringing. Traits based upon location do exist, but they are not guidelines for how to view others, per se.

To add to the forum topic, however: I have noticed a few differences between East and West Coasters in America. Those on the East coast can sometimes be more reserved. From what I saw growing up there, they have their space, and others are not welcome to invade it. West Coasters (at least where I come from), on the other hand, are all about the hugs.

By the way, here's a belated congratz on your mod-ship, Fellows!

Hugs

Fellows

OK we are back on track now,, I promise
  • Reply 20 of 40
    most people like hugs. most people like trees. many west coasters like hugging trees.

most elves are good archers

some dwarves are agoraphobic

all nazgul are nasty and bad-tempered