New 970 FX details from macrumors...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
head on over to http://www.macrumors.com and check out the details... i'm really looking forward to my new g5!

take a look at power consumption

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I'm really looking forward to the PowerBook G5
  • Reply 2 of 79
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    don't jump on that purchase until after solid pefromance reports hit the net!

Apple has a lot of challenges with repsect to a 970 based laptop, the performance of the machine very much depends on how they approach those issues. No matter what I do hope that they put a larger or higher performance battery in the machines in the next rev no matter what the processor is. Saying that though I'm waiting for the big announcment. How many think a new PowerBook G5 tommorrow?

Thanks

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I'm really looking forward to the PowerBook G5

• Reply 3 of 79
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Wow 24watts for 2.0GHz? With out another wattage number for another 970 90nm processor speed it's kinda hard to extrapolate what a 1.6 or 1.5GHz 970 would consume. 18watts for the 1.6GHz?
  • Reply 4 of 79
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Nice... Technical specs from IBM. 24.5W @ 2Ghz??? That is much better than the 51W @ 1.8Ghz. This makes PowerBook G5 a reality. If they came down this much, think how non often the G5 towers fans will have to come on I will be getting a G5 PowerBook soon... Also note there is not top speed listed... dun dun dunnnn

Dual 3Ghz G5 tower

2Ghz PowerBook

coming to your Apple store soon!
  • Reply 5 of 79
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Just noticed that the 1.4Ghz 970fx only uses 12.3W!!!
  • Reply 6 of 79
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tfworld

Hotchy Kamatchy! I have to load up that page now. Been putting it off too long.!
  • Reply 7 of 79
    You will need to follow this link: http://www-306.ibm.com/chips/techlib...G_01-21-04.pdf

Check out page 9...
  • Reply 8 of 79
    **DMBand begins drooling**

mmmmm....g5 power book!
  • Reply 9 of 79
    Oh yeah, with power levels at or *below* G4 ones... They are coming soon
  • Reply 10 of 79
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    shit I just jizzed all over myself!
  • Reply 11 of 79
    How come the 970FX is so much slower than the previous 970 at a faster processor speed? 5800 MIPS at 2Ghz versus 7584 MIPS at 1.8Ghz for the previous 970 (130nm) doesn't seem to make sense. That's quite a bit slower.
  • Reply 12 of 79
    even I am impressed.

that is....if those specs are true in which case i think i would be possible to put a g5 in a powerbook.

actually im shocked because if you remember the "new" motorola roadmap they wanted to produce a dual-core g4 chip at 2.0 ghz that consumed 25 watts or less.

while these chips arent dual core,the fact that they consume 25 watts or less at 2.0 ghz is a considerable achievement.

WOW.
  • Reply 13 of 79
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by twinturbo

How come the 970FX is so much slower than the previous 970 at a faster processor speed? 5800 MIPS at 2Ghz versus 7584 MIPS at 1.8Ghz for the previous 970 (130nm) doesn't seem to make sense. That's quite a bit slower.

The SPECint and SPECfp scale as you'd expect, but that Dhrystone 2.1 MIPS is slower. Unless smaller numbers mean faster speed. Does anyone know?

The package also seems to be the same size - why didn't it get smaller?
  • Reply 14 of 79
    Shhh! Keep it down folks. Have you no respect? My less than 6 month old PowerBook is sitting right here and can hear everything your saying. Its looking very depressed right about now. Pity on the meek.
  • Reply 15 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

The SPECint and SPECfp scale as you'd expect, but that Dhrystone 2.1 MIPS is slower. Unless smaller numbers mean faster speed. Does anyone know?

Nope. Higher means faster here. I assume it's in error.
  • Reply 16 of 79
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    WOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!

i love it here when there is good news!

bring on the G5's for the entire lineup!
  • Reply 17 of 79
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

The package also seems to be the same size - why didn't it get smaller?

The package size (for all chips) is determined by the number of pins.
  • Reply 18 of 79
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jginsbu

Nope. Higher means faster here. I assume it's in error.

And you may be right. As the design of both chips are the same, there is no reason to see different performances in Drystone, especially if we consider that spec are the same.
  • Reply 19 of 79
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    EXCEPT that chip makers tweak their chips in between revisions (such as this one). You would expect the new chips to be a little faster clock for clock... but not enough to notice, or indeed wipe out the margin of error in benchmarking

12.3W... can you say PowerBook?

Barto
  • Reply 20 of 79
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tfworld

The power requirements of the new processor are indeed a surprise. I expected something about 30% cut in wattage specifications at the same frequency, but it looks like it is of the order of 55-60%! After that, I don't see why the whole Powerbook line wouldn't get G5s, 1.4 GHz for the 12" up to 1.8 GHz for the 17". And bigger capacity batteries too.