spell check options for Mail

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
can you set up spell check to spell check automatically before it sends (opening the spell check window) as is done with IE and Netscape.... Rather than check as typing. it would save several steps

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    IE spell checks before sending an e-mail?

No... so... IE has a spell checker?

Wait wait wait... IE has an e-mail client??

To run a quick spell check on an e-mail before sending, press apple-;. There is not an option to do this automatically because, I suspect, Apple would expect you to be using the live spell check tool.

I have to ask, though. What steps does it save you by not using the live spell check?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    in certain WEB BASED email accounts there is "spell check"

not much you can do to "automate" it tho...

I'd suggest using a os X native browser like omniweb or safari or camino or firebird
  • Reply 3 of 5
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    On my ibook i use safari, on my dell i use netscape7what i do now with safari when the word is underlined i open spell check and correct the word, maybe i just need to do it at the end of the email all at once. maybe i'm not using spell check correctly. those are the steps i would save. Netscape is the browser that opens a "spell check " window before it sends to correct all errors.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    then Brad's suggestion should work... actually cmd : would probably be what you are looking for...

try it out...

but the idea behind the instant spell check is to improve your spelling...

this way you know right away when you make a mistake and can learn to correct them eventually without the computer's help...

and the spellcheck functionality you describe in netscape is definitely built-in to your web-based email... try to send a message without using OS X's built-in spellcheck... maybe the built-in (web based) check will take over...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

and the spellcheck functionality you describe in netscape is definitely built-in to your web-based email...

I wouldn't be so sure. I'm not a Netscape user myself but I seem to remember some Mozilla developer discussions about adding this to Mozilla and I think they claimed that this was one of the bits of Netscape they couldn't open source because the copyright was held by someone else.

Note this is in the Netscape Mail program, I don't think they have it implemented for text entry boxes in the Browser yet.