Edwards-Smile while you stab them in the back

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Murder by numbers

Wonder where those evil "Conservative Talk Radio/Television Media Sound Bites" are coming from?

John Edwards who in 10 pages out of a 50 page packet instructs his precinct captains to describe his fellow Democrats as follows.....

Quote:

Howard Dean as an "elitist from Park Avenue in New York City." It says John Kerry "can't claim to change America because he has been part of the failed Washington politics for too long."

"In order to beat [President] Bush, we need a nominee who can win Southern states, not another New Englander or Washington insider who loses every Southern state," the memo reads, referring to both Dean and Kerry.

It also offers a particularly detailed critique of Dick Gephardt. Under his leadership, it says, House Democrats "lost control of Congress in 1994, and lost four more times since then. ... We can't afford another losing national campaign against George W. Bush and the Republicans."

First words out of most mouths will be, yes, but they all do it.

That is exactly my point. All candidates are asking for your money, your vote and will attack the others attempting to get the same thing. So the next time someone tells you they are "different" and on some moral high with regard to their campaigning, just smile and remember they all take the same road to get to the same place.

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Wonder where those evil "Conservative Talk Radio/Television Media Sound Bites" are coming from?

From Democrats' computers?

I think I like Edwards better after seeing this. I hate this pussy "positive campaign" garbage.

Here's what every liberal's fav blogger Josh Marshall says after attending an Edwards event:

Quote:

His comfort level with a crowd, his ability to roll with and into their moods and reactions, and his ability to craft his talk into a resonant story (a narrative, as we used to say) is simply light years beyond what Kerry or Clark can manage. (Dean is sort of in a whole different category --- he tries for something different.) He?s down-to-earth, gesticulating all over the place, with folksy aphorisms and punch lines all put in the right spots, but in an unforced, uncontrived matter.

He?s funny and folksy, in a campaign sort of way.

With most politicians in these sorts of settings I watch and see the disjuncture between what they are doing and what they should be doing, what they?re supposed to be doing. It?s something like their discomfort quotient, or perhaps the way you can see into their grasping for what the right way is to connect with the crowd or a given voter. With Edwards there?s none of that. He?s a natural. His ease seems total --- and you can easily see the echoes of years of working juries in the court room.

And yet, an hour or so later, after his presentation and after and Q& A, I had a bit of a hard time remembering quite what I was so dazzled by. It put me in the mind of one of those old clichés about light Asian food: filling at the time, but a few hours later you?re hungry again.

These are just quick impressions from observing one event. I wanted to write a post which conveyed --- in as unmediated a fashion as possible --- my immediate impressions of watching Edwards work a room for the first time. The above isn?t intended as a blanket judgment about a whole campaign and a whole candidate. But in this one case I did have the experience of being truly wowed and then, later, feeling that the whole thing was somehow a bit thin.

• Reply 2 of 5
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

From Democrats' computers?

I think I like Edwards better after seeing this. I hate this pussy "positive campaign" garbage.

Here's what every liberal's fav blogger Josh Marshall says after attending an Edwards event:

Better be careful, Northgate will come in and cut you down for caring about personable over policy.

Edwards looks like a real people person and his smiling personality appears authentic. I just love to point out that no one is above regular campaign tactics. People claim this with one side or the other.

Nick
  • Reply 3 of 5
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

I just love to point out that no one is above regular campaign tactics.

Nick

Mosley Brown? Kuchinich?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    i agree about edwards

i noticed that about him in the debate last year and i told people "if the others don't watch it edwards could grow on people" i was thinking then he might make a good veep, but who knows how far he'll go
  • Reply 5 of 5
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

John Edwards who in 10 pages out of a 50 page packet instructs his precinct captains to describe his fellow Democrats as follows.....

Where are the instructions you're talking about?