Pro Speakers with new iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I bought a new iMac yesterday (wonderful machine!!) and it comes with the Pro Speakers.

They sound very nice up to half the full volume, but over that they sound like crap! And the always have to much bass.

Does you got Pro Speakers and have the same problem? And what can you do about it?

Roger

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    yep, it's a problem. especially if you listen to rock or heavy music.

the solution is to buy an iSub, which should IMO be included with the iMac in the first place
  • Reply 2 of 29
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    I believe plugging in the iSub automatically removes the lower frequencies from the Pro Speakers into the iSub and makes the baseballs sound much better. (Personally I listen to music on my music system... it's much better for that).

[ 03-09-2002: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 29
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I've never noticed a problem with the speakers and they are a lot better than the ones with the older iMacs, which is all I care about. A iSub would make them better I'm sure, but for really good sound I just use my stereo.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Same here, I run my audio out, through my monitor base (it has a lot of ports for stuff) and then again through my stereos AUX port. It is great for DVDs
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Which is better - the Pro Speakers with an iSub or the Sound Sticks 3 piece system? I was recently told that these were the combinations that would work with the new iMac? I have only heard the iMac with the Pro Speakers and it sounded fine.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    soundsticks sound great. my dad's got a pair and they sound great. but that is another $200 trying to fix something that should have worked to start out with. if the iSub thing technically works, then try that.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Soundsticks are definately not worth the price. For $200, they sound like shit IMO.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Well, considering that I don't need to have music loud enough to cause my frickin ears to bleed when I'm at my computer, the SoundSticks are great. I love them. MUCH better than Pro Speakers with an iSub.

In fact, my PowerMac is in the corner of our living room, and we use it as our main stereo. Mind you we don't try to peel the paint off the walls, but we do crank it up a little sometimes. We're more than happy with the SoundSticks, and they look GREAT too.

BTW, having the Mac where it is is so cool - I can walk over, make a playlist with a dozen songs in seconds... and we're set for music for an hour. (not to mention the countless playlists that are already made - takes only a second to select one)

iTunes rocks.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>Soundsticks are definately not worth the price. For $200, they sound like shit IMO.</strong><hr></blockquote>

gotta agree. soundsticks are not too special. only thing they have is design. the sound quality can be found for much much cheaper.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    I'm going to have to jump in and say the SoundSticks aren't that bad. I paid $135 for mine (from <a href="http://www.2buystore.com)" target="_blank">www.2buystore.com)</a> and I'm just happy with them. I've heard them on display at stores before, and wasn't terribly enamoured with them... but I think it's something you really need to be able to sit down in front of.

Sure, I've heard better too, but for $135 I'm happy with the purchase. If I'm going to listen to music though, I listen through the B&O speakers that are linked to my living room soundsystem....
  • Reply 11 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

gotta agree. soundsticks are not too special. only thing they have is design. the sound quality can be found for much much cheaper.</strong><hr></blockquote>

its funny you say that, i always thought the soundsticks are hideously ugly. the isub is ugly too, but necessity may take precedence over fashion. i went to go buy an isub today, but the sales guy told me it wouldnt work with the new imac, since the box only said imac 350 and OS 9 compatible. i remembered someone here saying they are using it on their imac g4, but the sales guy told me not to buy it unless i was 100% sure. very strange. so i didnt get it. just so i can go back and tell the guy he made me make a seoncd trip...does it work? need official answer.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It will work. If it doesn't, I'll buy it off you.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    The iSub definately works with the new iMac, and will make it sound much better. I just picked up a set of soundsticks, and they are wonderful.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    Soundsticks AND Pro Speakers sound great to me, even at max volume. With no iSub (which looks great, BTW ).
  • Reply 15 of 29
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    I fell in love with SoundSticks and their iSub version when I hooked it up to a G4 Cube

:cool:

They work great with the new iMac G4, too, so I got another set.

I am a believer in the original iSub that I tried to get my spouse to use with her iMac SE Snow, but she prefers to work in silence--no beeps, no buzzes, no whirrs, and no music. I am banished to the Library/Other room where I blast away at moderate volume on the Cube.

At school, my office rocks late at night on the iMac G4 with Sound Sticks, and I silence everything in the day with little Koss earphones.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    craiger77craiger77 Posts: 133member
    My girlfriend was wanting to get the soundsticks so I did a bit of research. Seems most people agreed that they sounded great if you were sitting in front of the computer, but weren't so great for filling a room with sound. For a bit cheaper the the Monsoon m-700 flat panel speakers seemed to be the most popular alternative. Also it seems the iSub and the subwoofer included with the soundsticks aren't equal although they look the same. I think it was the iSub that was supposed to be superior. We didn't end up getting speakers after all so this is just from research, not personal experience.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    taqtaq Posts: 76member
    iSub works with new iMac. When I ordered it, I called Apple and asked. They said they were fully compatible with the iSub. so, there you go...not only from people who have an iSub hooked up, but if you want, call apple, and get it from them too.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    thanks. i believe all you guys that the isub works with the new imac. i had to go back again to comp usa to get something, and i saw the same sales guy who told me not to buy it. i had fun telling mr-i-know-everything-about-apple he was wrong.

:cool:

but im gonna order the isub thru the apple store, since it was still cheaper than what comp usa was selling it for.

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: mac's girl ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 29
    taqtaq Posts: 76member
    Mac's Girl, you'll love it. It'll go well with your new iMac and that cool chair in your pictures.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by Taq:

<strong>Mac's Girl, you'll love it. It'll go well with your new iMac and that cool chair in your pictures. </strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL i didnt realize the chair was still a hot topic of discussion. maybe i should use the pic in my signature. hahaha! as soon as i remember how to how to link it...