MS losing Goverment Users

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Cnet has an interesting article about how MS is losing several major goverment contracts, etc. to Linux and other open source software. Microsoft fears that this will spread to the bussiness world too. My qustion is how can Apple take advantage of this? I'd say ease of use compared to linux but with the same Unix power. They'd also need a lower priced computer. Any other thoughts? Goverments Vote Against MS

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    No mention of the Mac anywhere in the discussion of migrations to *nix.

Typical CNET.

I almost laughed when reading that customers "after considering TCO and Security, went with MS"

Holy Non-sequitur Batman.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Reading this:

Quote:

Originally posted by imacFP

They'd also need a lower priced computer.

Next to this:

Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

No mention of the Mac anywhere in the discussion of migrations to *nix.

...is just downright absurd. Macs are good lower-priced alternatives. Riiiiiight.

Apple's Macs aren't mentioned because, well, they're expensive and don't have as wide a selection of good, reliable open-sourced software as the Linux world has. Yes, there are projects like fink that bring great things to Mac OS X, but they don't *really* run as natively and play as well with the system as they would on pure Linux machines.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Why buy a mac to run *nix on when you can buy a beige box?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Because you already have 5,000 Black Dells. When it comes time to upgrade, then make your pitch.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macserverX

Because you already have 5,000 Black Dells. When it comes time to upgrade, then make your pitch.

Apple would have to under bid Dell, and in that case...you loco? Except for the excuse of government spending, there is no reason that they would pay more for something that will do the same job.