Network warnings...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Okay this may be a stupid question, but I own a Powerbook and I'm using it while I'm stationed in Baghdad on their LAN. Now, seeing as it's a laptop, I connect and disconnect it a lot. Whenever I pull the plug, I get a dozen or so alerts telling me then such and such drive has been disconnected. Is there some way I can tell the OS that I've pulled the plug?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    C'mon, doesn't anyone else have this problem??
  • Reply 2 of 8
    "umount" your network drives before you unplug maybe?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    yeah, but on a network of hundreds of computers, I can't keep track of who I've connected to, so it would take forever to go through and disconnect them all
  • Reply 4 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    In the Finder, (assuming you're running 10.3), in Preferences:General under 'Show these items on the Desktop:' uncheck Hard disks and CDs, DVDs, and iPods, and check Connected servers.

Now, when you want to unmount everything, just Expose-Desktop (F11 is default), Cmd-A (select all - which is just your mounted servers), then Cmd-Delete (send to Trash - ie, unmount). Voila.

There are other ways to do it, but that's what I'd do (particularly since I never use the Desktop for anything.)
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Hey... sounds like a great idea! Thanks! Yeah I never use my desktop for anything either except temp items. I hate seeing windows users with eight thousand icons (mostly shortcuts) on the desktop arranged around some stupid picture in the middle. How can you work like that??
  • Reply 6 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

In the Finder, (assuming you're running 10.3), in Preferences:General under 'Show these items on the Desktop:' uncheck Hard disks and CDs, DVDs, and iPods, and check Connected servers.

Now, when you want to unmount everything, just Expose-Desktop (F11 is default), Cmd-A (select all - which is just your mounted servers), then Cmd-Delete (send to Trash - ie, unmount). Voila.

There are other ways to do it, but that's what I'd do (particularly since I never use the Desktop for anything.)

I know you know infinitely more then me, but do you mean Cmd-E to eject them? When I mount my brothers computer HD's on my desktop I have to eject them, as sending them to the trash via Cmd-Delete doesn't work.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Well it turns out it doesn't work anyway. I had the settings turned on for connected servers to show up turned on, and they have not been. Here's what I've been doing: When I hook into the LAN, I simply use the Finder and go through Network/, and the area shows up, and I navigate to whatever computer I want to go to. When I get to my destination, it shows up as a generic network icon, and under the icon is a button that says connect. I click that, type in my user/pass, and continue navigation within said computer. None of these show up on the desktop, and I may navigate through a dozen or more computers in one sitting, so when I pull the plug it warns me about each one. Very frustrating.\
  • Reply 8 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I know you know infinitely more then me, but do you mean Cmd-E to eject them? When I mount my brothers computer HD's on my desktop I have to eject them, as sending them to the trash via Cmd-Delete doesn't work.

Oh lord. Yeah, try Cmd-E, that'd be the more sensible route. D'oh.

Quote:

Originally posted by chrismusaf

Well it turns out it doesn't work anyway. I had the settings turned on for connected servers to show up turned on, and they have not been. Here's what I've been doing: When I hook into the LAN, I simply use the Finder and go through Network/, and the area shows up, and I navigate to whatever computer I want to go to. When I get to my destination, it shows up as a generic network icon, and under the icon is a button that says connect. I click that, type in my user/pass, and continue navigation within said computer. None of these show up on the desktop, and I may navigate through a dozen or more computers in one sitting, so when I pull the plug it warns me about each one. Very frustrating.

Odd. Let me take a look into this when UNC opens back up and I can get to a network with plentiful servers... (slight snow problem down here...)