Cant open JPGs from AOL, Preview only JPG viewer?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I tried downloading some JPGs from this site and the dialogue box stays on the screen until I click it off. Then I double click on the downloaded JPG and Preview says it cant open it because it doesnt recognize it or is a corrupted file.

Never had this problem with AOL for OS9.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    call AOL and ask them....
  • Reply 2 of 24
    I have had this issue since system 9 but system 9 did not have preview. Aol's images seem to always be downloaded in a propietary format even though it say jpeg. Open the files from aol and you can view them. My advice is don't use Aol's browser and you won't have this problem.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    If the dialog you're talking about is the download window, and it stays open until you close it then it sounds like the image didn't download 100%. Can you open them in any other program? I'd say to try downloading them with a different browser.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rmh1572

I have had this issue since system 9 but system 9 did not have preview. Aol's images seem to always be downloaded in a propietary format even though it say jpeg. Open the files from aol and you can view them. My advice is don't use Aol's browser and you won't have this problem.

I didnt have the prob in OS9. It downlaoded as a AOL JPG, but opened right up as long as AOL was active, and if not Pictureviewer opened it with no problem.

Right now I have to use safari to downlaod pics and MPGs.

Is everyone happy with safari? I find it slow and doesn have many user options.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Extras.rsrc

If the dialog you're talking about is the download window, and it stays open until you close it then it sounds like the image didn't download 100%. Can you open them in any other program? I'd say to try downloading them with a different browser.

Yes, it works with safari. I trashed some prefernces in aol and I will try it again. If I cant use AOLs built in browser than it really doesnt pay to stick with them. The built in browser is twice as fast as safari though.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    *edit* Nope. Preview works no matter how I mangle a jpg file's metadata.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    This on dial-up?
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

This on dial-up?

Yes, and trashing the prefs and database didnt work. I may try downloading AOL and installing it and trashing what i have now.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    For me, Preview opens even corrupt jpegs that nothing else will open, Mac or PC. I actually depend on it now for that ability in a few cases. I suspect the problem is with the AOL browser downloads.

I asked about dial-up because of the speed issue with Safari. It could very well be slower relative to other browsers when on dial-up. It's one of the fastest browsers I've used on broadband, and I think that Omniweb is the same way. I could swear that these browsers are designed to perform better with one connection than another. I think both OW and Safari wait until the page is loaded to display everything, whereas AOL and IE load items as they come downstream. So the latter seems faster on dial-up whereas it slows down the process on broadband. Anyway, it's entirely off-topic.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Stop using AOL.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

For me, Preview opens even corrupt jpegs that nothing else will open, Mac or PC. I actually depend on it now for that ability in a few cases. I suspect the problem is with the AOL browser downloads.

I asked about dial-up because of the speed issue with Safari. It could very well be slower relative to other browsers when on dial-up. It's one of the fastest browsers I've used on broadband, and I think that Omniweb is the same way. I could swear that these browsers are designed to perform better with one connection than another. I think both OW and Safari wait until the page is loaded to display everything, whereas AOL and IE load items as they come downstream. So the latter seems faster on dial-up whereas it slows down the process on broadband. Anyway, it's entirely off-topic.

Do you know which browser works better wih dialup? I downloaded Netscape and its fast with everything but pictures. Pics take forever to download.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

Stop using AOL.

I may have to, but if the browsers all suck with dial up Im screwed.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Er... images are big files, in comparison to text.

If you're using dial-up, *NO* browser is going to be fast with images.

Neither will mail, ftp, curl, nntp... NOTHING is going to make large images come through faster over dial-up. On any OS. On any computer.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Er... images are big files, in comparison to text.

If you're using dial-up, *NO* browser is going to be fast with images.

Neither will mail, ftp, curl, nntp... NOTHING is going to make large images come through faster over dial-up. On any OS. On any computer.

The built in browser in AOL loads pics much faster than safari, IE, and netscape, which is odd since AOLs browser is netscape based.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    There are various tricks that can be used to make a user think a browser is faster... "Show images as loaded" vs "Wait until all images are loaded before displaying page" is a classic one.

Unless AOL is routing all your web traffic through their servers, and are caching images, then compressing with a tighter algorithm for decompression on your host computer, there's no way that they can make your modem faster.

Dial-up is just slow.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

There are various tricks that can be used to make a user think a browser is faster... "Show images as loaded" vs "Wait until all images are loaded before displaying page" is a classic one.

Unless AOL is routing all your web traffic through their servers, and are caching images, then compressing with a tighter algorithm for decompression on your host computer, there's no way that they can make your modem faster.

Dial-up is just slow.

That is true, but compared to OS9 everything seems almost blazing fast right now
  • Reply 17 of 24
    When I click on a JPG Preview automatically takes over. What happened to Picture Viewer, which I believe is or was part of Quicktime? When I used to try to open pictures downloaded in AOL the pic opened without any helpers as long as AOL was open. Now, Preview tries to take over but isnt able to open the JPG. Whenever there was a problem opening a JPG in OS9 a list of altrnatives opened up and allowed me to choose which app I wanted to open it up with. Now there seems to be no alternatives. Is there anyway around this?
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Didn't you already start a thread about this?
  • Reply 19 of 24
    SledgeHammer is right; so, I'm merging the two threads. There's no need for two discussions of the same subject.

Picture Viewer is long dead. Preview has been its (more powerful) replacement since Mac OS X Public Beta was released over three years ago. Preview hooks directly into Quartz and QuickTime and should view any format Picture Viewer can.

The dialog you mention in Mac OS 9 should have only appeared for file formats for which there wasn't a default viewer. I find it rather odd that it appeared *every* time you opened a JPG file.

Your problem with AOL is an old one, actually, that I've heard about once or twice before. As I recall, AOL encapsulates some of their saved files so that *only* AOL can view them. This has been going on for years, but I suppose that since the Mac OS 9 version hasn't been updated in many years, it hadn't been a problem there.

I really think you should consider switching your browser and/or ISP. \

Anyhow, to open a file with a different app, you have several options.
    • Control-click or right-click the file. Choose "Open With" from the context menu and pick your app. If it isn't listed, choose "Other..."

• Select a file (any JPG you've downloaded, in this case) and Get Info on it in the Finder. Expand the Open With disclosure triangle. Change the app that opens that instance of a JPG. If you want the change to affect *all* JPG files you download, click the "Change All..." button.

• Reply 20 of 24
    It didnt open for all JPGs I wanted to open, just some. For instance i had a computer with OSX and saved some JPGs using whatever app it was using (it wasnt preview, I could have sworn it was somehing else). Then I sold hat computer and went back to OS9, and thats one instance when the dialog came up-picture viewer opened it with no problems all the time.

As for AOL, they finally admitted they have a problem. They emailed me and told me they were working on a fix.I'll give them a little time o fix it, as for now i will download pics and MPGs using Safari or another browser.

Jut for the heck of it I inserted a CD wih JPGs from the OS9 version of AOL and AOL opened them with no problem. I would like to see if Preview can open a AOL JPG without AOL installed on the computer, but I would have to trash AOL and that would be a pain in the arse.

Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

SledgeHammer is right; so, I'm merging the two threads. There's no need for two discussions of the same subject.

Picture Viewer is long dead. Preview has been its (more powerful) replacement since Mac OS X Public Beta was released over three years ago. Preview hooks directly into Quartz and QuickTime and should view any format Picture Viewer can.

The dialog you mention in Mac OS 9 should have only appeared for file formats for which there wasn't a default viewer. I find it rather odd that it appeared *every* time you opened a JPG file.

Your problem with AOL is an old one, actually, that I've heard about once or twice before. As I recall, AOL encapsulates some of their saved files so that *only* AOL can view them. This has been going on for years, but I suppose that since the Mac OS 9 version hasn't been updated in many years, it hadn't been a problem there.

I really think you should consider switching your browser and/or ISP. \

Anyhow, to open a file with a different app, you have several options.

Control-click or right-click the file. Choose "Open With" from the context menu and pick your app. If it isn't listed, choose "Other..."

Select a file (any JPG you've downloaded, in this case) and Get Info on it in the Finder. Expand the Open With disclosure triangle. Change the app that opens that instance of a JPG. If you want the change to affect *all* JPG files you download, click the "Change All..." button.