Steve Jobs' Comments on the 20th Anniv. of the Macintosh

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Macworld Linky

Some interesting quotes, with the most interesting phrases in bold:

Quote:

I think that you're seeing us, with the Power Mac G5, being the most powerful personal computer out there. And we've got a lot more where that came from.

Quote:

...when you make a movie, you burn a DVD and you take it to your DVD player. Someday that could happen over AirPort, so you don't have to burn a DVD -- you can just watch it right off your computer on your television set.

It looks like the old boy still has a lot of tricks up his sleeve.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

I think that you're seeing us, with the Power Mac G5, being the most powerful personal computer out there. And we've got a lot more where that came from.

i'm not reading anything more into that statement than marketing spin. just about any ceo will say "...and we've got a lot more where that came from."

Quote:

...when you make a movie, you burn a DVD and you take it to your DVD player. Someday that could happen over AirPort, so you don't have to burn a DVD -- you can just watch it right off your computer on your television set.

okay, now this statement does seem to be like he's intentionally hinting at something. obviously, the ties with tivo may allow for this in a future box (hell, can't it already do something like this with photos and music?) plus, if they can figure out streaming wireless video (like antenna tv, but with much better reception), then you would eventually have wireless monitors, too. i mean, it's all a matter of time. look back ten years ago and see what we were using. system 7.x, and my friend chris just barely getting x-wing to work on his powermac.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

okay, now this statement does seem to be like he's intentionally hinting at something. obviously, the ties with tivo may allow for this in a future box (hell, can't it already do something like this with photos and music?) plus, if they can figure out streaming wireless video (like antenna tv, but with much better reception), then you would eventually have wireless monitors, too. i mean, it's all a matter of time. look back ten years ago and see what we were using. system 7.x, and my friend chris just barely getting x-wing to work on his powermac.

Well, we've now got rendezvous streaming of photos from iPhoto and rendezvous streaming of music from iTunes. Can streaming of movies from iDVD or iMovie be far behind? I think it's probably a bandwidth issue right now.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Is it a bandwidth issue or more a set top box issue? Is Airport Extreme fast enough right now?

An Airport Base Station with video out seems likely...maybe with VoIP capabilities?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    With 802.11g(AE) at 54mbps, and HDTV at 19.6mbps, I'm sure it could handle anything coming from a camcorder.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i'm not reading anything more into that statement than marketing spin. just about any ceo will say "...and we've got a lot more where that came from."

...then you would eventually have wireless monitors, too...

The problem with this is still battery life, probably not as much bandwidth. Well a combination, but I'd say battery is the biggest drawback.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

With 802.11g(AE) at 54mbps, and HDTV at 19.6mbps, I'm sure it could handle anything coming from a camcorder.

While that might be true, AE and any other form of wireless networking, doesn't actually work at their theoretical maximum speed. Also, transfer speeds would be heavily affected based on how far your base station is from your set top and what obstacles are in the way.

There are a few factors that go into it. I think if and when wireless hits the 100-base area, this will be even more likely. I don't know though, Apple does seem to make stuff work with what we have, so maybe they've already figured it out.

I guess only time will tell.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Pixlet??
  • Reply 8 of 8
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Pixlet??

That is a very viable option. It is a very good high-quality, low-bandwidth codec.