iPod costs $870?!?!?!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
here's an article about how 'hot' the ipods are right now... for some reason this person thinks they cost "just under" $870. i hope i'm missing something (for the writer's sake).

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...ondsubsection=

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    That article is from New Zealand. Their currency is worth a different amount.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

here's an article about how 'hot' the ipods are right now... for some reason this person thinks they cost "just under" $870. i hope i'm missing something (for the writer's sake).

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...ondsubsection=

odds are, they use a similar currency (if not the same) as australia, which has always traded lower than (i.e. it takes more of their dollars to equal) american dollars. that's why everything sold in canada seems to have a 30% markup. it isn't ACTUALLY more expensive, it just takes more dollars to achieve the same value.

i can't believe i just EXPLAINED currency exchange.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    ok... i just assumed that it would have been clarified if it wasnt in USD, but thats me being naive. i've even been to australia and new zealand--i jsut didnt think about the exchange rate being a factor. permission to lock or whatever.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

odds are, they use a similar currency (if not the same) as australia, which has always traded lower than (i.e. it takes more of their dollars to equal) american dollars. that's why everything sold in canada seems to have a 30% markup. it isn't ACTUALLY more expensive, it just takes more dollars to achieve the same value.

i can't believe i just EXPLAINED currency exchange.

Pretty well too 8)
  • Reply 5 of 8
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I'm sure it is different now, but when I was there in both places in 2000, an australian dollar was worth about 66 cents, and a NZ dollar was around 50 cents.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

I'm sure it is different now, but when I was there in both places in 2000, an australian dollar was worth about 66 cents, and a NZ dollar was around 50 cents.

Current OZ rate is around 76-78 cents, NZ further off by around 10-14%
  • Reply 7 of 8
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    what ever happened to the barter system? I mean, I would trade 37 baskets for an iPod Mini. **** the dollar, my services as a jester would be worth three blank DVD-R's an hour.....
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Aside from the fact that this should be in Digital Hub, this thread has turned into a discussion of current currency exchange rates and how that process actually works. At best, that would be a healthy, and welcomed change of pace, discussion for AppleOutsider. Feel free to open a new thread there. For now, this one is closed.

Skin 'em, cook 'em, and eat 'em boys!