Airport Card Woes

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an iMac DV SE (400mhz G3) which I had loaned to a friend for a year, which just returned to me. I clean installed Panther, and everything is fine. Then, after I apply the Airport 3.2 update,

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6674

from within Software Update it can't see any networks. The networks are there, and Airport works, but the iMac can't see anything.

Do a bunch of troubleshooting, no dice. Reseat the card, check the connector, nothing. Reinstall Panther (thinking the update killed it) and skip the Airport update--doesn't help.

Then I swap in another Airport card, and it works fine. Try the Imac's Airport card in an iBook...dead. It appears the card is dead, and all I can figure is that the update killed the card somehow, but killed it in a way where it can't see networks. This seems the only reasonable explanation, and it is true that the iMac's Airport card is very old--one of the first released by Apple. It still seems farfetched, though.

So, I need to buy an Airport card, unless someone can think of some clever way for me to flash the Airport card back to a usable state, or a completely different explanation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm admittedly not really knowledgeable about this, but the old Airport card may not be able to handle the current types of wireless encription.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    noleli2noleli2 Posts: 129member
    Can you run the update again? Maybe you have to re-flash the card's firmware if it got corrupted somehow. Just a thought.