What expansion ram for imac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm planning on ordering a CD-R imac, but it only comes with 128 MB of ram. I found a 512 MB chip at macsolutions for $129. Does anyone know if their memory is reliable and would be an OK choice for memory expansion?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by jarvis8484:

<strong>I'm planning on ordering a CD-R imac, but it only comes with 128 MB of ram. I found a 512 MB chip at macsolutions for $129. Does anyone know if their memory is reliable and would be an OK choice for memory expansion? </strong><hr></blockquote>

that sounds a little too cheap. i paid $215 at crucial a month ago, and they are among the most trusted. a number of people here order from crucial, and they recommended it to me. make sure you are getting pc 133 ram. it's also a smaller chip, like the one that goes in the ti-powerbooks. and make sure it is for the user slot. the ram for the factory slot is cheaper from what ive seen, but you will have to have it installed by a tech.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    the 128 your iMac comes with is internal...there is an external slot that can hold one chip at up to 512 mb ram...this external slot needs so-dimm ram which is more expensive...to add to the internal slot is harder to do, and you will lose the 128 you have already....i, like mac's girl added the 512 chip from crucial...we both got the 800 superdrive, so we now have 768 mb ram...which is plenty for me and keeps the system fast....g

go here (price is up some from a month ago)

<a href="http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr+Productline=Apple+iMAC&amp;model =iMAC+%28G4-700%29&x=13&y=9" target="_blank">crucial site</a>
  • Reply 3 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>i, like mac's girl added the 512 chip from crucial...we both got the 800 superdrive, so we now have 768 mb ram...which is plenty for me and keeps the system fast....g

go here (price is up some from a month ago)

<a href="http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr+Productline=Apple+iMAC&amp;model =iMAC+%28G4-700%29&x=13&y=9" target="_blank">crucial site</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

I want more ram...more...more...

i...can't...stop...

need...more...

jarvis, use ramseeker.com, and it will give you all the lowest prices. 18004memory.com was the cheapest i recall, but i went with crucial for a more reliable product.

Wow, I kept fearing the price would drop right after I bought my ram. It's usually just my luck. Now if only my stocks would go up... (then i could afford to buy more chairs.)