Tried to install burner;Mac won't boot_help!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Man do I need help!I ordered a Lite-On 52x32x52 burner from OWC and as soon as I got back from work today I went to install it.It said to set it up as master so that's what I did and set the stock combo to slave.Every time it booted after that it just went straight to Open Firmware and said something about typing 'mac-boot' to continue booting normally_it did boot like that but it didn't strike me as normal because also,right before it went into OF the computer would emit a loud beep and the fan would spin very fast for a few seconds.

I was able to see the drive using Toast and Dragon Burn,it also showed under Disk Utility and in the 'About this Mac' menu it correctly listed the drive.Seeing that it kept doing this OF thing I tried switching jumpers to cable select on both drives,then inverted their respective master and slave jumper settings but to no avail.

That's when it started going to the gray screen and gave me a message in about five languages asking to reboot which I did but it kept doing it anyways.

I tried booting with just the new burner as master and as cable select;same thing with the stock drive;right now I just gave up and am posting this from my Solarisx86 box.

Oh I also tried booting without any extra drives(just the hard drive) but it just goes to the damn gray screen.Zapped the PRAM as well but no dice....any ideas????

p.s:It is a dual 867 MDD running 10.3.2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Put the old drive in again and boot from cd if you can... then try and select your HD as the start up disk.

This particular drive may just not be bootable and setting it to master may have thrown your computer off.

Hope this works for you.

Also, you may want to check XLR8yourmac's Drive Compatiblity Database and see if other people are having similar experiences with this particular drive.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I will try doing just that tomorrow to see if it works.By the way I checked the site that you referred to and found these testimonials so we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Again thanks for your help and I will keep you posted.