Recommend a basic, affordable Windows-based web-site software?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A family member was asking, but I have NO idea about anything beyond what's available for Macs.

Are there decent, affordable (say, sub-$100) PageMill-esque programs out there for people like him? Just wanting to put together a simple site, nothing fancy or high-end: just writing, links, some photos, bio/about section, etc.

Something DEFINITELY for beginner/consumer level? Again, PC-based (he's using Windows ME, if that matters...I don't know). It's an older laptop without much RAM and nothing high-end about it, so any "first, upgrade to Windows XP, and then..." kinds of answers aren't gonna fly.

Let's work with what we've got and keep his life simple.

I have NO idea what's out there, other than GoLive and Dreamweaver!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Microsoft Publisher. Does websites, and a lot of other crap. Should cost too much (A lot less if you can fake that you're a student, or get a student/teacher friend to buy it for you )
  • Reply 2 of 9
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    And godspeed to you if you use it! Or am I thinking of MS Frontpage or whatever it's called?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I've heard good things about Homesite. I've not used it for obvious reasons... I like BBEdit, personally.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Frontpage is the "real deal" if you want to get into MS webpage making. Publisher does websites, plus other stuff (brochures, order forms, menus, etc.)
  • Reply 5 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

Frontpage is the "real deal" if you want to get into MS webpage making.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

<pant. pant. pant.>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

phew. Thanks for the laugh. Frontpage the "real deal" hahahahah......
  • Reply 6 of 9
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    a little FYI. WORD does build web pages
  • Reply 7 of 9
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, but manually coding the stuff, right? I mean, is it - in any way - a WYSIWYG web-page/site builder?

I'll check out the two suggested above. Thanks!

Again, something not expensive AND something for an absolute novice (I mentioned PageMill for a reason).

Hand-coding, $199 (and up) packages, stuff requiring updating his OS to Windows XP, etc. need not apply. If something like this simply doesn't exist, fine. Just tell me.

I was just curious and don't feel like schlepping all over the Web, chasing down rabbits, if some of you knew something off the top of your head.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Does Netscape still come with Composer?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I still recommend publisher....

(As far as 'real deal', that's as real as it gets with MS [well, an app from MS])