trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

No, really, he did. Did you see RAW?

Deep south and wrestling...

Nope, no stereotypes here.

Nick
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Trust me, that is the only southern stereotype I fulfill.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    That's kind of funny, I don't generally follow wrestling, but just the other day, it was on, and I watched it, while chatting with a buddy of the internet, I said it was silly, and he was like "what?!" because he really likes it. So he started explaining a lot of it too me, and I told him that the only wrestler I liked was Mike Foley, because he seemed the most real(and because I saw him on conan and it was great) and he told me that Foley had just been on the other week, and then on the episode we were watching(he had been watching it too, when I messaged him) Foley showed up again, but he didn't do anything.

So to make a long story short, care to tell me how this little episode resolved?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    WWF, UFC and all similar events should be banned. At least boxing has "rules". Also, ticketholders shouldn't be allowed to vote. If you're not wise enough to find something better to spend your money (or time) on, you're not wise enough to make an informed choice about our President. I'm sure there is always the occasional exception like the Rhodes Scholar that gets bored with the symphony, or the engineering student who needs to get drunk and do something stupid (really stupid), but mostly I think "unexceptional" is the rule in those crowds, where IQ is concerned.

Just MO of course, I could be wrong (but probably not).
  • Reply 5 of 12
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Ah, a fellow wrestling fan (and willing to admit it, too!)

No doubt Foley is God. Who else would bleed just for an interview? I loved the whole, "It's cold and flu season, Randy, you can do better than that!"

He had funny comments I saw in an interview on Dean going all WWE, too.

Just hope he doesn't get seriously injured.

Jeff
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Yeah, Foley is the man. That was easily the best segment on RAW.

Oh, and Wrong Robot, Foley came out to confront Randy Orton, who's basically a young wrestler who thinks he's the greatest thing to happen to wrestling since steroids. Orton has been dogging on Mick for the past month or so while Mick has been at home. Foley basically told him that he didn't want to fight him, because he retired a long time ago, and he started to talk about how much Randy was pushing him over the edge, but how he wasn't going to give in to it, and it was no big deal. But as he was talking, he totally lost it, and all his anger came out. He even started punching himself in the head, and busted himself open (yes, he was bleeding!). Then he basically opened up a can on Randy and the rest of Evolution (Randy's posse) who came to the ring after that. It was crazy.

And just reading it, kinda loses the meaning of it. You'd have to see it and be familiar with Foley and Orton to get the full impact of the segment.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

WWF, UFC and all similar events should be banned.

I DON'T LIKE IT SO LET'S MAKE IT ILLEGAL FOR EVERYONE ELSE!!!

This is the kind of attitude that leads to the refusal to allow gay marriages, the creation of sodomy laws, and the banning of stem cell collection from aborted fetuses.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

I DON'T LIKE IT SO LET'S MAKE IT ILLEGAL FOR EVERYONE ELSE!!!

This is the kind of attitude that leads to the refusal to allow gay marriages, the creation of sodomy laws, and the banning of stem cell collection from aborted fetuses.

Are you saying those are bad things or good?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Hey, Moogs, (most) wrestling fans don't actually believe the fighting is real. They're soap operas with big sweaty men pretending to fight, and the occasional display of remarkable athleticism. Perhaps you should be deported for watching movies with violence in them, or those Beavis and Butthead episodes when you were 15? But I digress. We'll just assume you're trolling and move on.

Foley's speech was absolutely brilliant. That man is the heart, brain, and several other major organs of the wrestling industry. Does anyone have a transcript, by any chance?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    hmm...so wait, foley took a stand that he would not fight back, that he'd be the better man in the face of criticism..etc., but he ended up wailing on them anyway? I don't know about that If I had written it I'd have had some other wrestlers, normally unaffiliated with foley, but moved by his stalwartness show up and beat up the detractors.

Either way, I tried to watch it again the other night, eh...not my thing, I don't think I'll be watching it much in the future.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    I like wrestling basically for what happens in the matches.

Sure, there are a lot of big lugs and bodybuilders that walk around and kick and punch. And the storylines are over-the top and illogical.

But when you get a couple world-class athletes like Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit or Rey Mysterio that really know how to put on a match there's a ton of skill and athleticism going on.

Of course, in a Foley match, it's more the morbid appeal of watching him get killed for 20 minutes.

Jeff
  • Reply 12 of 12
    If you go to http://www.wwe.com today, (and for an unknown length of time from now), you can watch the Foley segment in streaming. Just look on the right side of the front page, there is a little picture of Foley and some bandwidth selections underneath it.