top in terminal

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
why is it that in jaguar, when you did top in the terminal, and then hit q, it would show you a list of all the applications that were displayed in top, but it doesn't show them in panther. now it just clears the list, and that pisses me off because if i want to kill a background process or whatever, i either have to remember the PID, or open up a new window and kill it from there.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    No idea what you're talking about.

10.3.2: Fire up new Terminal window, type 'top', hit return, wait a sec, hit 'q', get a new prompt with screen still full of top readout. Works for me.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Top quits the top process for me.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Top quits the top process for me.

Me too (well, q quits the top process at least). Could this depend on the shell? The default shell changed from tsch to bash between Jaguar and Panther.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

Me too (well, q quits the top process at least). Could this depend on the shell? The default shell changed from tsch to bash between Jaguar and Panther.

q quits top for me, but my readout is cleared
  • Reply 5 of 8
    "ps -A"

or even better... if you want to see what is eating your cpu...

"ps aux"
  • Reply 6 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

q quits top for me, but my readout is cleared

Are you by any chance triggering this run of top with the Cmd-Shift-N 'New Command' command? In 10.2, having a command run inside a window as just that command would clear on quit for me. In 10.3 it does not. I suspect a shell setting somewhere... \
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Try opening terminal prefs and change terminal type to something other than xterm. That should help your problem.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    changed terminal type to vt102, and it works fine, except that when i hit q, my new line cuts out the bottom line of my readout, but other than that, it works, thanks guys